replacement mattress ?

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
jimi

replacement mattress ?

Post by jimi »

I just bought a 96 B190 and would like to replace the over cab mattress.
any suggestions on best replacement? I am thinking about trying a full size futon mattress. I think a Queen would be tooooo wide.
Thanks
Jim
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Jim.....welcome to the site.

I took mine out and installed carpet tiles.... :lol:

But, its home to storage at this point

Please let us know what you find as a suitable replacement...

Last edited by Alaskan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I can tell you the foam is pretty expensive. I priced one out at a couple hundred dollars once. I don't really have any better suggestions, though. The other issue is that a standard mattress won't work (even if it fits side to side) won't work due to the fact that it has to fold up. Also, you might not be able to get it into the bunk.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

In reality you'd need to have two separate pieces like original...

Try a major upholstery supplier, they usually have large pieces right out of the molds that they cut to customer spec from.

I've been in one in Seattle...those pieces were the size of a VW when they come from the manufacturer. Out of the mold they have a crust on them.

They also come in different densities...
RobertL
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by RobertL »

We had the same issue with a tent trailer that we used to own.
We found a place that cut foam to order and then made a cover.
Actually was pretty inexpensive as I recall.

Look in your local directory and take careful measurements.
If I were doing this for our unit I would make it a 3 piece bed instead of 2 for ease of moving the darn things.
jimi

Post by jimi »

thanks for all the reply's
I like Alaska’s idea of installing carpet squares and using it for storage.
I think i may just install a twin size mattress short term, and use the remaining space for storage.
In a prior life i had a 30 ft sail boat and we replaced All the cushions.
So I have a contact to create custom cushions.
The prior owner had replaced original with a full size futon, so I don't have the original sizes. If, someone could provide me the measurements, that would be great. I may just make one section for now. There will probably never be more than one person using the upper bunk.

Thanks again
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

69 inches was the width...

52 inches & 24 inches were the other dimensions

If I were to make new ones I'd consider Roberts suggestion and make the larger ones in two sections....providing the option to still maybe use the front for storage but allow one person to the sleep up there also

When I converted that area to storage, I also removed the section that slides back.

I took the oak face board off that sliding section and permanently installed it back across that area...
jimi

Post by jimi »

Thanks Alaska, I agree with you and robert
Rucorosa

Post by Rucorosa »

There is a local foam supply shop near me in Simi Valley, CA.

I just had brought my mattress in to them and he replaced it with a new high density foam.

It turns out that the existing foam was about 3-4 inches thick but the covers themselves look like they were made to fit 5 inches. So I got 5" thick foam and it fits like a glove. The actual covers are not in that good of shape but I always put a sheet over them anyways - so I don't think that's such a big deal.

Total cost was about $280 for the foam. It would have been about $200 but I went for the 5 inch instead of 4. Not exactly cheap - but it was fast and I'm happy.

I am having some draperies made by a local seamstress and I asked her to quote out new covers just for kicks - in case I find some extra $$ laying around someday....but I have several more updates to my rig I want to do before that is important to me.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: replacement mattress ?

Post by Wakeslayer »

We had the same dilemma in our new to us 94. Looking at RV matresses, they are stupid expensive, and the fact that you need to close the drawer on the bunk makes it quite impractical. We decided to just use an air mattress until we sorted it out. Of course, said mattress leaked. We bought an Aerobed air mattress at Target for $100. Comes with a 110v pump that autoshuts off when full. We can fit sheets on it. When we get up in the AM we simply let enough air out to aloow the bunk to get pushed in. Works great. I figure even if I had to buy one every couple years it would take ten years to add up to a mattress system that won't work very well.
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara