Will it freeze if . . .

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Alan155

Will it freeze if . . .

Post by Alan155 »

I have a '92 model with the 460 engine. We live in PA and will be traveling South for Christmas and New Year, with a stop in NC and then on to FL.
I would like to fill my water tank at home. I will keep the interior at roughly 70 all the time or drain the tank if that becomes impossible.
The question is: if I am on the road in 20 degree whether will the interior heat keep the water from freezing? If I'm in a campsite with the inside at 70 and the outside at 20 will it freeze?
Thanks, Alan155
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

I believe, like my 93, your fresh water tank is inside, under the sink and to the left. If this is true, I do not believe you will have any problems with the water in the tank. The inside of the van would need to be colder than 32 degrees for a period of time. I would bet just the heat from the van will keep the rest of the interior of the van above freezing. However, I believe (on some vans) that there is a fresh water line that runs behind the refrigerator, on its way to the back for the toilet and shower. This is not the case on my 93, but I cannot speak for a 92. This small section of would be exposed to outside air, and therefore could freeze as you are driving thru colder temps.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

weekender wrote:I believe, like my 93, your fresh water tank is inside, under the sink and to the left. If this is true, I do not believe you will have any problems with the water in the tank. The inside of the van would need to be colder than 32 degrees for a period of time. I would bet just the heat from the van will keep the rest of the interior of the van above freezing. However, I believe (on some vans) that there is a fresh water line that runs behind the refrigerator, on its way to the back for the toilet and shower. This is not the case on my 93, but I cannot speak for a 92. This small section of would be exposed to outside air, and therefore could freeze as you are driving thru colder temps.
In my '91 all of the supply lines are inside, under the sink. There is a drain line running through the back of the fridge, but that shouldn't be a major problem. If you're really worried you could dump some RV anti-freeze down there.

I don't think you'll have any problems, Alan. For it to get that bad, like weekender said, it'd have to be a sustained cold below 32 degrees. I frequently don't even winterize mine until early December, and by then it has usually dropped below freezing several times at night.

We're going to be camping over Christmas in Harrisburg, PA. :) We did it last year with the ice and snow and had a great time. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

inside water lines freezing

Post by Roadhog »

As long as you keep the interior above freezing you should be OK. But to be sure, you can leave the lower compartment doors slightly open to allow the warmer interior air to circulate under the sink and the water lines from the water tank. You could heat up the water heater and then shut it off. The heat loss around the tank will keep the water lines in that area warm. That area is dead space that will not get interior heat.
Happy Trails
Howard
Alan155

B190 freezing

Post by Alan155 »

Thanks much for all of your input. I was hoping that keeping the inside warm would do it and after reading your advice I'll give it a go!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Welcome Alan....

I wish I was heading for Florida.... !
Roadhog
Weekend Camper

Post by Roadhog »

8) I am in Florida and loving it. No hurricanes this year! Been great. Daughter lives in the twin cities and I know she wishes she was in Florida. Getting the B van ready for a trip to Key West next week. Happy Trails, Howard
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Go ahead.....rub it in Howard
Alan155

Will it freeze . . .

Post by Alan155 »

Howard,
we were in Key West last year for New Year's eve and parked on route one, 2 blocks from the action. We slept two nights, much to my surprise.
Alan155
Roadhog
Weekend Camper

Post by Roadhog »

Alan
Thanks, I might try parking as you did in Key West. Of course safety is a big issue. I talked with a recently retired Sheriff from Monroe County, which takes in Key West, and he said the crime thare is getting really bad especially pick pockets during the sunset festivities. Campgrounds in Key west are pretty pricy for just a stop over. But thanks for the info.
Howard
VanDownByTheRiver
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Re: Will it freeze if . . .

Post by VanDownByTheRiver »

What kind of freezing/damage could be expected if I full time in New York (temperatures do fall below 0), don't winterize, but keep the interior above 55 degrees?

I imagine the water pump and heater would be damaged, along with some lines?
'94 B190 w/ 460
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Well....the water heater is mostly inside the rig, and if you keep using it during your travel then you won't have a problem there. And, all the water lines are run inside the rig so you won't have a problem there either.

If you don't intend to use it then you'll need to at least insulated it, behind the outside door. There is no way
to drain it if you intend to continue using the water system as once you have the water pump turned on it fills the hot water tanks first.

There outta be a ball valve on the input line at the hot water tanks to prevent that.

Also, the water pump is mounted down on the floor below your sinks, therefore that should be fine also.

The only area outside where below freezing weather will maybe affect you would be the water holding tanks as they are in the rear under the rig..... you'll need to keep them empty or some how warmed.
VanDownByTheRiver
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0

Post by VanDownByTheRiver »

Thanks Alaskan, that's encouraging.

The only problem with my water heater is that it doesn't always start up, apparently due to low voltage. While this is something I'm working on, I worry it could turn into a nasty repair job overnight. Regarding holding tanks, I was just planning on sticking to RV antifreeze.
'94 B190 w/ 460
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Just so we're clear here. The holding tanks I was referring to are the black-water & gray-water tanks, (waste water)...I've not heard of putting RV anti-freeze in those tanks, especially if you're going to be living in the rid as the tanks need to be dumped regularly

Your 24 gallon fresh water tank now...that is located inside the rig, mounted to the floor inside the right-side cabinet....therefore not exposed to the outside temperatures.

If you are not going to be able to keep your hot water tank operational then I'd cut either some thin styrofoam or cardboard and place it behind the door as well as possible.

Another option for your water heater...they do make an electric unit that can be inserted in-place-of the drain plug in that hot water tank to maintain hot water rather than using the propane....I have one in one of my rigs and it works fine.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Alaskan wrote:Just so we're clear here. The holding tanks I was referring to are the black-water & gray-water tanks, (waste water)...I've not heard of putting RV anti-freeze in those tanks, especially if you're going to be living in the rid as the tanks need to be dumped regularly
I do this when I'm winterizing. I usually use about a gallon to go down all of the drains, with the idea being that each tank should get at least some of the antifreeze. I don't camp in the cold long enough to need to dump more than once at the end of the trip, but the antifreeze is cheap enough, and I had the one tank valve freeze once, so it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit