Generally unanswerable question

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
ChasingRain
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Generally unanswerable question

Post by ChasingRain »

So here's a pretty much unanswerable question- What's the life expectancy on one of these vans? I'm wondering at what point it's "too old" to put a lot of work/money into the van. My van is a 1994 with 125k miles on it, had a new transmission about 15k ago, engine runs well, and seems to be mechanically sound, but could use some body work (no rust, just some dents) and the upholstery is wearing out. At what point is it not worth putting a lot of money into the van and time to start saving for a new rig?
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

You know, I've been wondering something similar, and here are my feelings:

1. The 460 engine is an incredibly well-designed engine and they tend to last forever, or close to it.
2. The transmissions are good until they fail (as you've discovered) but if you put a decent one in it and take care of it, it should be good for a very long time.
3. Reupholstering and all is expensive but far less so than a new camper.
4. Most of the components we have in our campers are standard components - the A/C, water heater, water pump, etc. is all standard.

So, my feeling is that you probably could keep one running and in good shape nearly forever if you were so inclined. I see Airstreams from the 50s and 60s that have been restored, and I see classic cars and trucks running around, so I don't see why one couldn't keep one of our B-vans on the road for a VERY long time.

Yes it would be expensive to completely reupholster everything, but compare that to the price of a new one (even a used new one) and I think you still come out WAY ahead.

But if you're tired of it, no amount of money is going to help - it becomes more of a personal problem than a problem with the van. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lougarou
Weekend Camper

upholstrering

Post by lougarou »

shalom, if your are good with sewing, buy some cheap blankets at walmart . wask them first, cut them so that there is room underneigth to stitch and there you are. they also make nice curtains, im particel to wolves. instead of common thread, use yarn. or 1/4 staples.

be safe.
bryanl

Post by bryanl »

A major factor is probably going to be rust. This will depend upon where you keep the van and where and when you drive it.

Everything can be fixed or upgraded, often at less cost than buying new, but when the body starts to rust out and other stuff underneath starts to rust, it starts to get to the point where fixing things gets towards being too much.