Improving The Insulating

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Improving The Insulating

Post by goinmobile »

Hi All. I'm up in Northern ontario and the weather is cooling off with temps at 32F the last few nights.
I would like to improve isulation in this thing as it is fairly drafty. It's very hot at the ceiling but my feet are cold.
I'd like to remove the door panels to upgrade the speakers and may try that spray foam to cover the door skin inside.
Under the couch I'd either spray foam the fender wells and other exposed spots----or use that foil insulation that is about 1/8 inch thick but effective.
The windows I'd cover with the foil stuff cut to size and cut a peice to cover the fantastic fan vent and use velcro to hold it to the ceiling panel.
Anyone have any suggestions?
I have the heat strip in the air conditioner and the propane furnace But was thinking of getting a catalytic heater to attach to the propane line. Theres a 10000 BTU one here that is about 18 inches square. I could hang it on the cupboard doors just when I need it.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I'd look at replacing or improving the gaskets for the doors. Also, I would sometimes take a towel and stuff it in the step well by the side door. If you can get someone outside the doors with a light, at night, you may be able to spot leaks where the light shines through.

I've heard of others hanging a blanket on the bed, essentially blocking off the front of the camper (never did it, though).

Insulate the electrical cord hole, too.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Insulation

Post by craigmar »

Hi Goinmobile, I don't know what others have done but a couple of things that I have done during the winters here in Utah if we go out are as follows. I have cut styrofoam pieces that fit inside of the compartment vents so that we do not get the cold air coming in while we are driving, I put a piece of duct tape over the outside stove vent to keep the cold air out make sure all the closeable vents are shut such as the bathroom vent etc. I have also put the foam bubblewrap on all the windows using small tabs of velcro to hold it in place. In general chat I have a post(tues Nov 23 2010) that gives you an idea as to how to get free bubble wrap if you have a petsmart near by as the wrap is quite expensive) One thing I do also that is a real heat saver for us is to hang a sleeping bag or quilt from the bottom of the upper bunk and drape it between the vans interior cabin so to speak and the drivers compartment or between the back of the seats and the couch. It cuts out the cold air you get from all the dead space of the drivers compartment when you are stopped and using the interior area and while driving keeps all the heater air in the drivers area so that you can run the heater on low fan and I also have to cut the heat temp down as well. I think the foam idea is good except it's a real pain in the --- to remove it if you should ever need to access the foamed in areas. On my rear and side doors, I just put some thick foam pad pieces in the compartments that I had left over from a previous project and they seem to work very well. I had to replace my waterheater tank as it split near the top and the one that I replaced it with was a little larger (10 rather than 6 gal) than the original I couldn't fit a foam insulater I had over it so I used a can of the spray foam and it worked great except that it looks like a blob from outer space, I have been negligent in sanding or cutting it down to look nice but its low on the priority list in my life right now,(hot water tank replacement June 4 2011). I do know one thing for certain though, my water heater only kicks on to rewarm the water about every other day and for only a few minutes so the foam works great in certain applications.
goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by goinmobile »

Thanks---I'll try those suggestions.
On a side note----this van came with huge red Wally Byam? club ID numbers. I'd like to remove them as that club isn't big around here and the numbers make it look like a rental or something.
If interested the # is 10557.
Would a blade used to remove window stickers work?
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

W always keep the "bathroom" door closed at night so more heat stays in the sleeping area. Makes it more like going to an outhouse in winter though. Our prior 190 had a roll up shade that went the whole width of the unit that was attached to the rear of the upper berth. Just pull it down to heat the driving area better, or heat the sleeping area better.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

goinmobile wrote:Thanks---I'll try those suggestions.
On a side note----this van came with huge red Wally Byam? club ID numbers. I'd like to remove them as that club isn't big around here and the numbers make it look like a rental or something.
If interested the # is 10557.
Would a blade used to remove window stickers work?
That should work just fine. I'll try to remember to look up that number tonight. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Or.....you could forgit the insulation and head to Florida
Roadhog
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 8063

Post by Roadhog »

If the number decals are on the front glass, you can remove them with a single edge razor blade. If the decals are on the fiberglass this method works very well. It was developed by my wife. Items needed for this is an old wash cloth and a steam iron, one you use for laundry. Wet the wash cloth and wring it out so that it is still very damp. Put the cloth over the letter to be removed and place the hot iron on the damp cloth. Remove after about 10 seconds or so. You can play with the time as it may vary some, remove the iron and cloth and carefully use finger nail to lift up one end corner enough to get a good grip and pull to remove. Be carefull it will be hot. If you are lucky it will peel off in one piece. If not it may take a couple of trys. This method has worked very well on aluminum. I would not try this on a glass window as the heat might break or damage the glass window. Good luck Howard