freezing conditions

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
jojo
Weekend Camper

freezing conditions

Post by jojo »

I bet some of us are good with the cold weather. My first overnite with my wife was on Thanksgiving up in the Julian area of Southern California where the temps overnite were dropping and the furnace purred away. But, in the morning I threw a wet towel on the picnic table and it was stiff in 15 minutes. I checked the water faucets and they were noisy so I went out to the city water hookup and the hose was frozen. Having no idea what to do I scooted down the mountain for warmer weather and everything was OK. I expect that I could have been better prepared somehow. I have a 1998. Any hints? Has anyone seen a good resource for tips on camping in the cold? Take Care--jojo
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

keep the propane tank full and use a 5 gallon water can for water that stays inside. Keep some antifreeze in holding tanks.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

We've camped in cold weather many times - we usually go camping over Christmas in Pennsylvania. I've been in weather down to 17 degrees F in the camper.

As you've discovered, hoses freeze. This can not only damage the hose but also the faucet. In cold weather, when freezing is a possibility, we use the internal tank instead of the hose connection. Alternately, you can leave a faucet dripping (be careful about filling the graywater tank, though, if you don't have a sewer connection).

We had some problems with the blackwater tank valve freezing last Christmas. Basically we just kept playing with it until it finally opened. I'm not sure what we could've done to avoid it, other than perhaps having one of those electric heater wires perhaps wrapped around the pipes, and just turn it on an hour or so before trying to dump.

We don't do much special other than use the water tank, though.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
jojo
Weekend Camper

Thanks Skater for being a pro

Post by jojo »

I heard that a heating pad like for your back could be handy. Good tips. Skater! Thank you.
Take Care--Roy