Factory radio replacement

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
db1961
New User

Factory radio replacement

Post by db1961 »

I am wanting to replace the factory installed am/fm/cassette player with an am/fm/cd disc player. I searched three salvage yards yesterday with no luck. I would like to find a replacement unit that will allow me to reuse the existing factory harness wiring and plug-ins with no modifications or rewiring. Can anyone suggest a unit or brand that would allow this swap out? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Denise
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do is get a radio from a place like Crutchfield or Best Buy and get the wiring harness (Ford Econoline 350, whatever year you have; Crutchfield includes the wiring harness for free, along with detailed directions). The wiring harness is a snap to hook up - they're color coded - then it's just a matter of removing the old radio and and plugging in the new one.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
db1961
New User

Post by db1961 »

skater wrote:The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do is get a radio from a place like Crutchfield or Best Buy and get the wiring harness (Ford Econoline 350, whatever year you have; Crutchfield includes the wiring harness for free, along with detailed directions). The wiring harness is a snap to hook up - they're color coded - then it's just a matter of removing the old radio and and plugging in the new one.

Thanks so much for the response and a lead on where to search for replacement radio. I've been doing some searching today on the computer for a replacement and was getting frustrated with only 1 possible match for a replacement unit. I will check the sources you suggested. I appreciate the heads up and have a great day!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

db1961 wrote:
skater wrote:The easiest and probably cheapest thing to do is get a radio from a place like Crutchfield or Best Buy and get the wiring harness (Ford Econoline 350, whatever year you have; Crutchfield includes the wiring harness for free, along with detailed directions). The wiring harness is a snap to hook up - they're color coded - then it's just a matter of removing the old radio and and plugging in the new one.

Thanks so much for the response and a lead on where to search for replacement radio. I've been doing some searching today on the computer for a replacement and was getting frustrated with only 1 possible match for a replacement unit. I will check the sources you suggested. I appreciate the heads up and have a great day!
No problem. Crutchfield's website lets you select the vehicle, then it will show you all of the radios that fit that size. I like shopping there. They don't have the best prices, but once you factor in the price of the installation kit, it usually works out about the same, and I've had good support from them over the years.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
db1961
New User

Post by db1961 »

skater wrote:
db1961 wrote:

No problem. Crutchfield's website lets you select the vehicle, then it will show you all of the radios that fit that size. I like shopping there. They don't have the best prices, but once you factor in the price of the installation kit, it usually works out about the same, and I've had good support from them over the years.

Thanks again. I really appreciate the information.