System checkout

New to camping and have questions? Wondering what the switch in the control panel does? Post your questions here and we'll (try) to answer them.
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

System checkout

Post by Wakeslayer »

Hello All,

So our first day with the new rig. We have checked over most systems and all seem to work. Fridge on 110v and propane. Still have to try 12v. Furnace, AC, water pump, water heater, generator, all three holding tanks, stove, oven, toilet all check out.
I do not quite understand the AC/DC controller. When plugged into AC power, that machine kept running while we were out there. I went out this morning and it had shut off. After turning on a couple lights and running the water pump, it went back on. Does this charge the house battery while plugged in?? Where is the house battery? There is a second battery under the hood on the passenger side. There is a red wire on the + side that goes to the vehicle battery via a large alligator clamp. This would seem to be El Cheapo's solution to a charging problem? Any insight to that system would be helpful. I feel the manual is basically a brochure and doesn't tell you much about anything.
I plan to get new tires, shocks, and get the front stabilizer bushings replaced before our maiden voyage in a couple weeks. My brothers shop does not have the ability to hoist this thing up for some reason. I am going to call Camping World, and the Ford dealer and see what their take is, and estimate for the work. I also need to replace pretty much all the housing covers on the roof and re-seal all joints, vents and such. We need/want a better mattress. I need a new headrest for the driver side.

Any other suggestions or tips as I learn about The Bus ?

thanks in advance

Mike & Barbara
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Re: System checkout

Post by Alaskan »

Hi Mike.... welcome !

Yes, when plugged into 110 power your batteries are being charged, as long as the charger-breaker in the electrical breaker panel is turned on.

The battery charging system in these rig has been one of the weak points....the charger-unit itself wasn't the best and some have replaced that unit with a better one and sometimes the isolator.

In your rig (1994), the house battery is the one on the passenger side under the hood.

That wire you mentioned, that runs across to the other battery with the alligator clip, yep someone added that to be able to tie the batteries together when there is a power problem (lack of)...I've done that exact same thing....that would be adding power from the engine battery to the house battery....and if not careful you can end up with an engine battery that won't start the rig.

One thing to be sure to check in this rig, new to you, is the water system for leaks.

Leave your water pump on so there is pressure on the system and closely check all the hot/cold water lines
and in particular the clamps on the fittings. Also, if there are any slight leaks you'll hear the pump come on for just a split second at times. There are several places to trace the lines to & from, including in the hot water tank compartment. Anyplace there might be a leak currently or previously makes for a number of hard-to-repair problems...and worst case, mold...

Check in the forums here for a Sealing thread I posted quite some time ago...
Wakeslayer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Wakeslayer »

Thank you, Alaskan.

I spent a couple hours watching the water system whilst doing other stuff last night. Will continue to check out. No leaks as of yet, and have found no evidence of previous system leaks.
So, with respect to the house battery, there is no date code, and it is smaller than I would have expected. I am going to have the charging system checked out when I get new tires and shocks. I am going to do everything I can to lessen the odds of a problem on the shakedown run in three weeks.

Feeling good so far.

M & B
Just get on the Bus!!

Mike & Barbara
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Mike....

Install the largest batteries that will fit in the brackets, and with the highest CCA (cold cranking amps)...be sure to check out the batteries from Interstate... !

They usually cost a wee bit more but they are top-of-the line products.