comfort food

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

comfort food

Post by craigmar »

I have noticed for quite a while now that no one is posting on this site, so I will try a couple of favorites and if people read and try them, maybe post a few more or hope others will be inspired to share. I enjoy cooking and I guess it stems from a mother that cooked and an ex that didn't. I am happy that I passed my abilities to my daughters and I'm sure their husbands appreciate it too.
I like "comfort" foods and simplicity. Nothing better meets the test than this recipe for biscuts or rolls and what better way to start off the morning or any meal with good biscuts. I can't remember where this recipe came from except that I have been using it for years now and no one ever gets tired of eating the results, simple as they may be.

2 cups of "self rising flour
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter (1 cube) melted <don't substitute>

*mix together the flour, sugar and and milk making a dough ball, if its a little to sticky add a little more flour or if to dry add a little water.
*roll or pat down the dough on a flour covered surface to a thicness of about 1/2 inch thick.
*cut the dough with a knife into squares about 3" x 2"
*pour the melted butter into a 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish I use a glass dish but disposable aluminum pans work also, then you don't need to wash it.
*dip each square into the butter and then turn it over to coat the entire square until you have filled the baking dish or pan.
*bake at 450 degrees for about 10 minutes or until nicely browned.

I would suggest that you try this one at home one time before trying it on the road, just to see how easy they are. These rolls cook up with a crisp top and bottom and the buttery taste can't be beat. They actually taste better after they have cooled down and have sat for awhile so if they are not eaten at first setting they will surly disappear later in the day.
I have also used a biscut cutter but they don't get the butter cooking up and over them as when they are square cut, also this recipe makes it easy to do other rolls such as when I make them into cinnamon rolls by covering the patted dough with cinnamon and brown sugar, roll the dough into a log, cut into pieces and then follow the baking process.
Another variation is to smother with gravy but any way you eat them, they go with any meal.

Another comfort food is meatloaf, but rather than bake a whole meatloaf I just make extra thick ground beef patties about 1/2 " thick and fry them in a pan about 4-5 minutes on a high heat per side or untill there is no pink showing. Remove them to a plate and wrap or cover with foil to keep warm. Drain the dripping except for about a table spoon or so left in the pan and then add about a 1/2 of a sliced onion and cook the onion or ,saute as some would say, until tender, then add a couple of tablespoons of brown mustard (also good if made with honey dijon), 3-4 tablespoons of steak sauce (I use A-1) and about 1/4 cup of dark corn syrup. Mix or stir as you bring it all to a boil and then pour it over the meat patties and serve.
Nothing better than served with a veggie like corn and mashed potatoes and maybe a salad along with the above rolls. Makes my mouth water just writing about it.

Speaking of Salad, how about a nice waldorf to go with the above because we all take fruit along or at least I do so its very easy to cut up one or two apples, maybe add a cut up pear either fresh or canned, maybe add some celery, ( I personally don't care for celery but the wife likes it so I add bare minimum of 1 rib cut up) add some chopped walnuts and some mandarin oranges. Mix the above with Mayo or salad dressing (miracle whip is my pref) add a little juice from the oranges and its good eaten time again.

Sorry about the length but try them, you'll like em, also I wish I could take credit for the recipes but they have been learned either from a book or someone told me and then I just add variations for my own taste and you can too.
Last edited by craigmar on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The biscuits sound REALLY good - I'll have to try them.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by baggydew »

A lot of us take the grill along and get tired of steaks and burgers. Try something different with a grilled hamsteak. They are easily transported in their own sealed plastic bag. When ready for supper, open the end of the package, toss in a mix of 2 tbs honey, 1/4cup mustard, a dash of clove spice and a dash of ginger. Shake the bag, coating the ham on both sides. Grill the ham and serve with microwaved sweet or regular potato and a can of green beans. If there are just two for supper, there's usually enough ham left for breakfast with the eggs of your choice. Pretty fast prep and a tasty alternative to beef.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

I vote that craigmar hosts a get-togehter and he does the cooking