Navajo Taco's and Scones

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Navajo Taco's and Scones

Post by craigmar »

In an earlier post (comfort food) I submitted a recipe for making the best rolls or biscuits ever and that they were so simple to make, well, here's another take on the same recipe.
In Utah and generally in the Southwest, we have a food known as a Navajo Taco made with a sweet dough, on our recent outing I thought that I would try to make taco's using the same biscuit dough while making rolls one morning. I did, it worked and they tasted great.
A Navajo Taco is basically a taco with the ingredients of your choice such as refried beans, lettuce, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, meat (beef,chicken or other) guacamole salsa etc.layered on top of a sweet flatbread and then either rolled to be eaten or eaten flat like a tostada (looks like a pizza) or with utensils. The difference between a typical hard shell or soft shell taco is the sweetbread, which is a little thicker and tastier than the normal taco shell.
To make the sweetbread taco, follow the basic biscuit recipe and after mixing the flour, milk, sugar etc, set it aside for a few minutes and heat up a pan of oil about 1-2 inches deep as you will be taking a piece of dough about two golfballs size and rolling or patting it flat like making a mini pizza about 5-6 inches round and about 1/8 inch thick as the dough will rise and thicken as it cooks, (I tried thicker and while it tasted alright, I felt it was to bread like)
after the bread round cooks to a nice golden brown take it out and drain excess oil on a paper towel while cooking your next round, etc. after cooking or frying your rounds then you can just layer them with the ingredients of your choice and enjoy.
The same rounds can be made and enjoyed as what we call deepfried scones which are basically deep fried rounds of dough and after cooking, buttered and covered with honey or cinnamon and sugar for a nice morning meal with a cup of hot chocolate or coffee, juice or milk or whatever. I am more of a meat potatoes and eggs kind of guy but my wife really liked the scones and I think they tasted really good also.
Anyway, I'm sure if you try the above, you won't be disappointed with either one.