Ruben soup or chowder and Bumstew

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Ruben soup or chowder and Bumstew

Post by craigmar »

While on a recent weekend outing with my daughters and their families, it turned out we had leftovers from the various meals cooked by all to share, so using up some of the leftovers I came up with this soup or chowder, and stew. I have to say they turned out pretty good.
Ruben soup or chowder

1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of nacho cheese soup
leftover sauerkraut ( I had made a variation of the sliders that I posted earlier using corned beef and sauerkraut instead of hamburger and onions) I filled one soupcan and half of another with the sauerkraut so about 15 or so ounces. I dont think it hurts to have more but definitly would not want less as what is a Ruben without sauerkraut.
corned beef chopped or cut into bitesizes (I had one full package of deli-type corned beef and 1/2 of another package so about 16 or 17 ounces of corned beef if thats important but there again what is a Ruben without corned beef)
1 soup can full of mozzarella cheese (about a cup full)
3 soupcans full of milk (about 3 cups)

Combine all the ingrediants except the cheese and cook over a medium heat until everthing is warm. Add the cheese and continue heating and stirring until the cheese is melted. Serves about eight or in our case, 6 adults and four young ones.
We used salad croutons on top of the soup but if a person had some rye bread, you could butter the bread and then either toast it in the oven or on top of the grill, cut it into bitesized pieces and put it on top of the soup for a more Ruben like taste. either way the soup disapears and there is no leftover soup to take home.

Bum Stew (Hobo)

As kids growing up, after a good game of baseball, over the line, stickball or whiffle ball, we would all run home and grab up what we could from the pantry or fridge and then go to the clubhouse, combine everything in a big pot, boil it up and then eat. To us it was a feast and a weekly ritual with suprises because you never knew what was going to be cooked up together.
On this last outing I decided to make a bumstew for the family and used the following, it turned out pretty good and there were no leftovers on this one.

1 pound of hamburger (add salt and pepper, mix and shape into small meatballs)
4 medium sized potatoes peeled and cut into bitesized chunks
4 carrots peeled and cut into bitesized chunks
1 large sweet or 2 medium sweet onions cut into chunks
1/2 cup of ketchup or chili sauce (my pref)
1/2 cup of water
one or two squirts of red vinegar
salt, pepper and your chice of spices, (I used thyme,basil and rosemary about two pinches each or 1/2 teaspoon of each is close)

cook the meatballs in a skillet until they are browned all over, drain the fat and then add the veggies. combine the ketchup or chili sauce, vinegar and water and your spices. pour over the meatballs and veggies, cover the skillet or pot and cook over a medium heat until the veggies are cooked and tender. dig in and enjoy.

DOES ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE COOK OR IS IT ALL PREMADE MEALS. IT WOULD BE NICE TO SEE WHAT OTHERS ARE EATING AND ENJOYING.
Electraglide
Weekend Camper

Post by Electraglide »

Yeah, we cook out all the time when we camp. The best is BBQ ribs done on a Pyromid smoker (the maker is out of business so you can only find them on eBay - that's where I got mine). The unit is made out of stainless steel and folds down to 12" x 12" x 1.5" when stored, but expands to something like 18" when set up. I can slow smoke two racks of ribs in it and they turn out just as good as anything done on a full sized smoker. I'll post pics of the unit and my southern bbq rub shortly.

Keep the recipes coming!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Great post Craig...

Your beach-front Alaska camping space is still available...

skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

We do cook in the camper, but usually nothing too extravagant - I love grilling, so I'm pretty much always pulling out the grill to do burgers, dogs, or steaks. :) Erica makes her beloved Macaroni and Cheese for WDCU rallies from time to time. I actually baked a cake in the camper's oven once, and it came out great.

Making food in the camper is complicated by the presence of the cat - especially for cheese foods. :rofl:
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Somewhere I read you were now a married man now... ?
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Alaskan wrote:Somewhere I read you were now a married man now... ?
Yup. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit