Ice Cream on the road

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Ice Cream on the road

Post by craigmar »

I have always had fond memories of spending time as a child on my Uncle's farm and sitting around waiting my turn to crank the handle on the ice cream maker because if you didn't crank you didn't get to eat. Now days, its a little easier with the electric machines with no cranking and so maybe those memories might be gone unless you opt for the hand crank version, anyway, this past weekend we took the twins (grandkids) and went to the desert hoping to see the Northern Lights and the Planet alignment talked about on the news. We saw niether, as the sky was overcast both days and nights. I, for some reason, decided to take the ice cream maker so extra ice was packed along with salt and milk and half and half and on the first night we made a batch using a premade mix that we just had to add milk,(4 cups called for but I used two cups of whole milk and two cups of half and half, makes it much more creamier). After the ice cream was made we took some M&M's and mixed them in, which the kids enjoyed. The second night we mixed another batch and mixed in some fruit, really good. I really enjoy ice cream and can't imagine why I never took the maker with us before now but you can bet it will be a standard item to pack for now on. There's just something about sitting back and having a bowl of ice cream, with good company, creating fond memories for all, especially this trip with the kids and knowing that there was no ice cream shop within a hundred miles even if you got the urge.
It's fun to think outside the box and I'm sorry I didn't do this before now, has anyone else tried something different, if so, how about passing it on.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

I've had an ice cream maker for years, but we finally made some in it a couple weeks ago... it was GREAT!

It's too large to take in the camper regularly, but we plan to take it with us on an upcoming WDCU rally in Delaware. The hosts of the rally make homemade curly fries (yummm!)... so we figure we'll try to contribute some homemade ice cream. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

M&M's mixed in with his ice cream... :lol: