easy doughnuts and stuffing rolls with bacon

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

easy doughnuts and stuffing rolls with bacon

Post by craigmar »

Well it's the new year and I'm still waiting for some new recipes! Does anyone else eat homecooked or is it all fast food? I know the answer so come on and share some of those recipes.
After receiving a doughnut cutter from the grandkids for Christmas, it was expected that papa would immediatly make doughnuts for them. I'm good at wingin things so I used the trusty biscuit recipe (comfort food post) and tripled it. after rolling the dough to about 3/4 inch thick, I cut several doughnuts and deep fried them in an electric skillet, turning them to brown on both sides with a set of wooden knitting needles. After frying I dusted them with a cinnamon/sugar mix. The holes were fried up as well and rolled in the same mixture. I thought they were good and so did the grandkids and their parents as well. A few days later I made up some more dough and used a biscuit cutter ( mushroom can with both ends cut out) to cut the dough and after deep frying they looked like bismarcs waiting to be filled. I was looking for my turkey injector but found instead a cookie froster I had (not used for years but after this I will most likely wear it out) that looks like a giant hypodermic needle with replaceable ends for various designs. I filled it with some blackberry jam, plunged it into the side of the doughnuts and filled them with jam, umm, gooood eatin time again.

At Christmas, we had ham and turkey for the brunch and you have to have stuffing or at least I do, so for something different I tried the following, getting the idea from a granddaughter that loves ham rollups with cream cheese. Anyway I mixed the stuffing (stovetop) according to the directions but added some chopped up onions, a little crushed garlic,salt and pepper, a little worcestershire sauce and and a slightly beaten egg to hold it all together, I made round balls about 1 1/2 inches around and then took a slice of peppered bacon and rolled it around the stuffing mixture and used a toothpick to hold it all together, heated up some oil and deepfried them until the bacon was cooked. Rolled em up in paper towels to get some of the excess oil off and watched em disappear.

There's two and I hope some more will show up.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

I see you are still teasing our members with all this food-related postings... :lol:

I think all the west coast members outta caravan to your house next x-mas for dinner...!

Ya got anything really good for meatloaf....??
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Meatloaf

Post by craigmar »

Hi Alaskan, meatloaf seems to be one of those food items that can be cooked anyway you want to be creative. It can be a plain loaf of ground meat or flavored with your choice of spices, you can add veggies, cheese, crackers, bread or anything else you like. You can glaze it with ketchup, brown sugar, different cream soups etc.
I like to make a typical loaf with half beef and half pork and will use different pork like sweet, mild or hot depending upon whats on sale that day, sometimes I will add a little brown sugar to the meat and also mix it with tomato sauce for a glaze, I've used bread filler as well as crackers, bread crumbs, crisp onions from a can and even used wheaties. I don't like oatmeal and won't use it but some folks do.
One of the things I do like to do is make my meat mixture and flavor it with a steak sauce or something for a flavor, you can use your meat sauces, salad dressings etc. it's just open to what you like.
I try to make mine by mixing the meat, filler and egg to hold it all together, then roll or pat it out to the length of the pan but wider, then I will start at the bottom of the meat and put a length of something like chopped onion, roll it over then maybe mushrooms, roll it, some cheese and roll that so it kinda resembles an old tyme ice cream and cake roll up, put it in the pan and cook it as usual (about 350 degrees for 40-45 min). That way you get a taste of everything in each slice.
Another meatloaf my family likes and so do I is to use left over corned beef (I know, what can I say, I like rubens) and chop it up, add it to the ground meat, add sourkraut and cubed up swiss cheese also thousand island dressing mix the whole chabang gently, make my loaf to fit the pan and cook it up, when it comes out of the oven glaze it with some more thousand island and eat it up. If and thats a BIG if,there are any left overs, it makes an excellent sandwhich on a rye bread which by the way if you wanted, you could toast a few pieces of rye and then crumb it to add to the meat as a filler and that is really good too!
Sorry for the length but it basically boils down to each individual taste and imagination.