A couple of good things to eat

Share recipes and beverages you enjoy in the camper!
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

A couple of good things to eat

Post by craigmar »

The holidays are past and I hope they were good for all and that the new year will treat us all kindly. I saw a commercial the other day and a little pig was asked what his new years resolution was, he answered, to eat more because it's a resolution I can keep. I guess maybe I feel the same way so here are some food ideas in keeping with simple, good and comfort, that I kinda strive for.
The first is really simple and something I did for the family dinner this Christmas.
Roasted green beans, Just get a bunch of raw green beans ( mine were in a 1lb bag) rinse them off and cut off the ends (the most tiresome part of this recipe)
Heat the oven to 400 degrees while cutting the beans, after the cutting is done place the cut beans in a bowl and pour some olive oil on em and then mix the beans around so they all have a coating of the oil. Put the beans on a flat cookie or baking pan with sides and spread them out so that their not lying on top of each other, sprinkle them with salt and pepper (I also sprinkled parmesan). Just roast until they get crisp, about 25 min and serve. There won't be any leftovers.

The second is a muffin type meat dish that makes for a good snack or combined with sides like the above or others found elsewhere in this section of titles.
1 lb ground beef or sausage or even a 1/2and 1/2 mixture
a small onion, chopped
salt and pepper to taste and any other favorite spices you like such as sage, thyme, rosemary etc
2 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup of grated cheese

preheat the oven to 400 deg
useing a cooking spray or some oil, grease a 12 cup muffin tin
mix your beef, onion and spices together (my daughter also puts in a small amount of corn as well, one of those little cans of corn or a couple of big spoon fulls).
mix the flour, eggs, baking powder,milk and oil to make a batter ( you can also use a premixed flour mix such as bisquick, use about the same amount of mix and about 2/3 cup of milk
put batter in each of the muffin cups (about 1/4 of the tin), divide the beef mixture so each muffin tin gets about the same amount and sprinkle some cheese on each portion. top each of the tins with the remaining batter, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and put in the oven.
bake about 20-25 min until the muffins are a golden color and the muffins spring back after a light press or you can use the tried and true toothpick method.

My wife and I had dinner with friends a few years ago and I had an order of Beef Bourguignon which is just a fancy name for beef stew but the taste was the best and I have to confess I have made it several times since, using different spices, meats etc. but the main stay is the red cooking wine or burgundy (my preference).
This is a simple take on the above with excellent results.
2 red onions finely chopped
1 garlic clove finely chopped
1/2 tsp oregano
1 egg lightly beaten
1/2 cup flour
1 tablespoon olive oil or thereabouts
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 stick of butter (about 6 tablespoons)
2/3 cup of red wine
1 lb of ground beef
heat 2 tbsp of butter in a skillet, add the onions and garlic cooking over a medium heat or until softened. transfer to a bowl and add the beef, oregano egg, salt and pepper and any other spices of your choice, mix well.
shape the beef mixture into four patties,dust with the flour shaking off the excess flour, melt about 2 more tbsp of butter and the oil and then cook the patties about 3-4 min on each side or to your own preference. transfer to a serving dish and keep them warm. Pour the fat from the pan, add the wine and take it to a boil over medium heat, boil until the wine is reduced to about half, stirring every once in awhile. while the wine is cooking dice up the remaining butter. remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter ONE piece at a time making sure that each piece of butter is incorporated or mixed in the sauce before adding the next piece. after all the butter has been mixed pour the sauce over the patties and eat.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: A couple of good things to eat

Post by Keystone »

Yum! I am going to try the green bean recipe right away. Why wait for a camping trip? Thanks, Craigmar.