Generator resonator or Gen Turi system install

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Minnie
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

Generator resonator or Gen Turi system install

Post by Minnie »

Under Generator Info is a posting about using a resonator to quiet the Onan. I got one and find the 1 1/4 generator exhaust and the resonator inlet are about the same size. How might you temporarily, as one poster said, "just stick it on" when camping?

I held it up to the running generator no more than 15 seconds and it did seem to help enough with the noise. It was hard to hold against the pressure though. Would it add too much back pressure to the generator? I know it is probably just coincidence but seems the generator has been just a tiny bit balky starting since then. It used to start on the first crank.

Would one of those Camco Gen Turi exhaust systems work? It looks like it might not be easily installed because of the Onan exhaust slanting downward to the ground. Would it be safer to have the exhaust going out above the roof line?
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Re: Generator resonator or Gen Turi system install

Post by lido14co »

I bought a resonator last year and it seems to make the gen about 30% quieter. I did have to use some emery paper to very slightly enlarge the diameter of the resonator. It's pretty much impossible to put it on with the gen running or after the exhaust pipe heats up, but if you put it on when it's cold you get a good connection. I'm able to just wiggle it on and off (once it's cooled down). I haven't noticed it affecting generator performance and I run the generator monthly.
Minnie
B190 Year: 1995

Re: Generator resonator or Gen Turi system install

Post by Minnie »

I didn't realize they were so close in diameter. The emery cloth worked like a charm. Thank you very much!