generator muffler

2800 MicroLite by Onan
hankster
B190 Year: 1995
WBCCI: 0

generator muffler

Post by hankster »

Does anybody know what an RV dealer might charge for a new muffler and to install it?
I am sure the biggest labor cost is removing & re-installing the generator. Trying to figure out if I want to do it or pay someone else.

Any info. is much appreciated.
thanks-hankster
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Re: generator muffler

Post by slapthecat »

I recently took my muffler off the generator - pretty simple, actually. There are two U-Bolt exhaust clamps - one where the exhaust attaches to the generator - somewhat difficult to access, but nothing crazy. And then a second on the hanging support bracket (supporting the length of the muffler).
Needed to replace my U-Bolts - severely rusted.
hankster
B190 Year: 1995

Post by hankster »

OK, thanks.
Took another look.
Does that mean it can be changed without removing the generator?
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

Absolutely.

Loosen the exhaust clamp holding the muffler onto the generator output - this is pretty much up inside the gennie compartment, so it's a bit of a wiggle to get in there, but not too difficult.
Then take off the exhaust clamp on the exhaust hanger - that will let you move the exhaust side to side to work it free from the generator.

Good luck!

(Disclaimer: mine is a 1990 - not sure if that matters at all)
MerxNoib
New User
B190 Year: 1985

generator muffler

Post by MerxNoib »

Thanks Tom,

I looked under the generator compartment today, and all I could see was a metal scoop directly under the generator.

Is the access panel further aft?
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

There are some heat shields hanging down around the propane tank. This should be near where they're fixed to the underside. Follow the muffler up to the gen compartment - on mine, there is a 5" square cut out for the muffle to hang down through. That's where one of the U-Bolts are (holding the muffler to the gen)