Onan Microlite Fuel Pump.....

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Jude

Onan Microlite Fuel Pump.....

Post by Jude »

Anyone know where the fuel pump is located? We can't get our gen to start & it's not getting any fuel to the filter.

Many Thanks!
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Page 14 in your Parts Manual will show you its located in the Intake Baffle Assembly.... #3, Pump, fuel-electric

That would mean you have to remove the gen from the rig to remove the top cover to get at it.....thats a pain

Before you consider that....if your rig has around a quarter tank or less of fuel the generator will NOT draw fuel from the tank....its set that way so you don't run your tank out of fuel with the generator

If thats the case, add some fuel to the tank and try again.

These gens are very fussy to get started if they haven't been run in some time....

What I've found is you don't just crank it too long....push the button for about 5 seconds and then let off until it stops turning over......wait a second and repeat that....it seems to allow the choke to work better rather than just cranking the thing
Last edited by Alaskan on Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude

Fuel pump

Post by Jude »

Definately not the fuel tank. It is full. No gas is coming up the fuel line when gen is cranking. Where do I find the Parts Manual so I can see page 14. I also need to see how to remove the Genset.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Your rig should have thick silver binder "Airstream Owner Handbook" ... inside that you'll find an Onan Installation Manual, Onan Operators manual & an Onan Parts Catalog. Page 14 in the Parts Manual will show you the fuel pump.

Take a flashlight and look in the openings on the left side of the generator, in the very back you'll see the electric fuel pump, its gold in color.

Removing the generator involves disconnecting the exhaust pipe and dropping it down to start with, next you'll find that your generator has a couple bolts holding it down, either inside the enclosure or up from the bottom, Airstream did that 2 ways.

Once you have removed those fasteners you can slide the generator out far enough to disconnect the fuel line, a small electrical plug, a 12 volt positive cable and the 110 volt output lines.

Sliding the generator straight onto a pair of stacked milk crates works pretty well as they are near the right height...

You've disconnected the fuel line from the carb and turned the gen over with the starter and you're not getting fuel...??

There is a 5 amp fuse in the fuel pump circuit....could be either a flat plastic type fuse (brown) shown here in this first picture or it could be an older type glass fuse located under those gray colored dots in picture #2... removed with a screw driver

Last edited by Alaskan on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

These pictures are looking down inside the air intake on the left side of the generator... way in the back you can see the fuel pump....gold in color

Note the mounting bolt at lower left.....some rigs had the generators mounted like this and later Airstream B190's bolted up from the bottom with 2 bolts....

In the back of this picture below you can see the electric fuel pump...

Last edited by Alaskan on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yes, check those fuses first.

But, this is how the failure of mine started. :( I ended up having to replace it. :( Hopefully the problem with yours won't be as serious.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin

Re: Onan Microlite Fuel Pump.....

Post by Alaskan »

Left rear under the cover....