Quick Questions

2800 MicroLite by Onan
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Quick Questions

Post by LarryMarty »

Having my generator repaired tomorrow...need a new carborator.
The previous owner let it sit for 2 years without running (right after having the generator serviced..so the carborator was varnished because of the sitting gas.

((First of all...thank you Skater for answering my many questions...and these will be a brief repeat as I have more information now.

Please tell me where the cabin battery gets it's charge. I know it gets it from being plugged in, but does it also receive a charge from the alternator and the generator?
((If there is a problem, I want to get it looked at tomorrow))
Presently my cabin battery does not receive a charge from the alternator.
I think it would be so handy for the alternator to charge both batteries, as I don't have a place to plug in here at the condo where I live.

Skater...I did notice that my deep cycle battery does loose charge when not in use.......also I read that the electric Drivers Captian Chair uses that battery for movement.

I am going to change my own oil in my 93.... because of no access to the drain plug, because Onan was going to charge me to take the generator out to do it..... 98.00 labor.

I would like to understand more about the kill switch to not over-charge the cabin battery. How is this done?

Thanks again everyone........... I'm almost ready to roll!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Here is a rough wiring diagram I've been working on for this article.

But the alternator definitely should be charging the coach battery - your selenoid is probably bad. They aren't very expensive, I think, and it should be pretty easy to replace. In mine I think it's located just to the right of the deep cycle battery.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Battery Charging

Post by LarryMarty »

Skater! ... Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.......

Now I can go to Onan tomorrow and know that I am talking about. If it's not the cylinoid, maybe when the new battery was put in, it wasn't hooked up correctly.

This site has been unbelievably valuable to me, and fun! .... I love reading other peoples posts with questions they have, and stories on the road....... It's great!
LarryMarty
Weekend Camper

Generator running great

Post by LarryMarty »

...got my generator working good today...
no nice to warm up something in the microwave and also have a cool coach.... wow.... I just love it.

The Onan place said my alternator doesn't charge the cabin battery (I know they were wrong from what Skater said) ... and I could tell they just didn't want to look at it because they were busy.... so I still have htat issue to deal with.

Skater..... if the cabin batter is dead....should you be able to start the motor.... and then start the generator? When I purchased this 93 , the cabin battery was dead....and even though we drove the vehicle for quite some time......the generator would not even turn over. I think this was a problem when I bought it. She replaced the battery and it did go dead even thought I ran the engin a lot. Wish you were here to help me out! ha ha .... I'll look for that cylinoid tomorrow and see if I can find it.

BTW....my fridge is working fine now (plugged in) ...
skater
Site Admin

Re: Generator running great

Post by skater »

LarryMarty wrote:Skater..... if the cabin batter is dead....should you be able to start the motor.... and then start the generator?
Yes - in fact this is exactly how I do it because my coach battery is shot.

Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

The generator will not start or run for a long period of time if the house battery is not charged.

My house battery will not charge from the alternator. I thought it should, but the person who installed the generator said there was no cable from the alternator to the battery. The house battery maintains a charge from the convertor.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Eagle wrote:The generator will not start or run for a long period of time if the house battery is not charged.

My house battery will not charge from the alternator. I thought it should, but the person who installed the generator said there was no cable from the alternator to the battery. The house battery maintains a charge from the convertor.
Interesting - maybe it's something they put in starting in 1991, or perhaps it's unique to mine (though I don't think so - it's a pretty common setup for motorhomes).

Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

Yeh, not sure if 1990 was the first year that built the motorhome, but I am sure they made modifications in future years.

I know the table in my 1990 is different than all others. I don't believe they put generators in those rigs, or if they did the original owner took it out.

It is interesting to learn the difference in these motorhomes.

Just came back from a trip to Ocracoke Island, NC and had a great time. A number of people wanted to look inside and of course I said "step right on in".
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Eagle wrote:Just came back from a trip to Ocracoke Island, NC and had a great time. A number of people wanted to look inside and of course I said "step right on in".
Ocracoke is nice. The Washington, DC unit of the WBCCI has a rally in Rodanthe every other year (i.e., next year), too. Much fun. :)

I've given a couple tours, too. :)