How to remove the generator

2800 MicroLite by Onan
dansvan
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

How to remove the generator

Post by dansvan »

I sent my 1997 B190 to a mechanic to figure out why my generator will not stay on. It used to run but would stall under load. Now If I hold the start button down it runs, but stops as soon as I pull off the starter. The mechanic said he dint think it had a fuel pump and was gravity fed? He said the carb seems to be working fine. He wants to pull the unit, but cant seem to get it out. Any tips on how to remove the unit? He seems to think the issue could be the circuit board but cant get access unless he pulls the unit.

Thanks!
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Re: How to remove the generator

Post by EdwardM »

I just removed my generator last weekend, as we are putting it up for sale. It is a 93, so bear that in mind.

Remove the exhaust on the generator. Undo the clamps, and wiggle with WD40. You should get 2 pieces, a L shaped pipe, and a corrugated pipe.

There were 3 bolts holding the generator in, accessed from under the van. Be careful not to remove the oil plug for the generator, or you'll get oil all over you (which is what happened to me) :D

After the bolts, you need to open the compartment under the sofa, and disconnect all the wires and feed them through the hole into the generator compartment, and disconnect the fuel line (this is the trickiest bit IMO)

After that the generator should just slide out, it's a VERY tight fit through the door.

Hope that helps.

Edd.
dansvan
B190 Year: 0

Post by dansvan »

Thanks Edd,

Did your have the oil drain on it? Getting around this seems to be the big issue. He was thinking of cutting an access panel but I may take it to an RV shop to see if they can get it out.

Thanks,

Dan
EdwardM
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993

Post by EdwardM »

Hi Dan,

I didn't have anything coming out of the bottom except the exhaust. There were only 3 bolts holding the generator in place, I could reach a wrench through a small hole and drain the oil from the unit itself, from under the van.

I don't think we have the same set up, maybe someone with a later model knows about the oil drain.

Edd.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk
DavidP
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994

Post by DavidP »

When I replaced the fuel line on my generator, (94) I just removed the exhaust and retaining bolts from underneath. Their was plenty of hose and cable to slide the generator out before disconnecting it. I have a hydraulic table (any table approximately the right height would work) and slid it out then unhooked the fuel line. But from what I could see in there is to disconnect the white connector and 12V line. The main cable would be easer if remove from the junction box from in the B. When you slide the genset out you will see where it goes. At that point you can pull the 4 torx bolts and pull off he wrapper to perform your repairs.