Fuse on back of control board?

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Hubie
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1999

Fuse on back of control board?

Post by Hubie »

Does anyone know if there is a replaceable fuse on the back of the control board in an Onan microlite 2800 genset? My generator will not crank, just a couple of clicks then silence. Coach battery is strong and plenty of gas in clear fuel filter. The 5 amp fuse on the right side of the control panel checks ok with the multimeter. Thanks, Hubie
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Fuse on back of control board?

Post by slapthecat »

Have you tried a different battery?
I *just* had a similar experience. The gennie starter would click a few times, but zero "crank". My house battery said it was at 12.8, which is fine. Pulled my Hyundai next to the van and used jumper cables to connect to the gennie - started right up!
Had the battery tested - dead cells. If there are working cells, they'll measure the proper voltage - but because there are also dead cells, the battery won't be able to deliver the necessary current to get the gennie spinning.
Replaced the battery and all is well!
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

I had thought about the possibility of a bad battery, but I tested the battery under load and it checked ok. Nonetheless I will jump the coach battery with a known good battery. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Hubie
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

An easy way to test it (at least, this would work in the B190 I had) was simply to start the van engine, then try the generator, because the alternator provided enough power to run the generator starter.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Well I pulled my battery out, took it to Advance and got it checked for dead cells and everything else their machine checks for. The battery checks out 100% ok. Cleaned all terminals at battery to bright and silver. Still no crank. Back to square 1. Any thoughts/suggestions much appreciated. Hubie
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Skater,
I tried starting the van engine, then tried to crank the gen, but once again the gen would not crank. After studying the Onan microlite 2800 service manual,I'm betting my problem is the control fuse F1 is open, or the relay K2 is defective or the starter is defective. Problem is I have not been able to locate the control fuse F1 or the K2 relay.
Hubie
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

Here's a pic from the Service Manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ay8ojbf1dj3n ... l.PNG?dl=0
Parts 13 and 22?
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Thanks slapthecat. Very helpful. Don"t think it's #22 fuse because I have a 98 with the new style 5 amp fuse on the right side. This fuse shows continuity when I test it with the multimeter. I'm betting it's #13 relay. Thanks again. I'll let you know.
Hubie
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

Probably shoulda mentioned...
Check out the http://www.smokstak.com/ forums. I was able to find the Service Manual and Parts Catalog for the first revision of the gennie - couldn't find it anywhere else. Lots of good Onan info there!
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Slapthecat, Thanks for the link. That is extremely useful for onan and a lot of other stuff.

I don't seem to have the relay (#13 in your illustration from an earlier post). My microlite 2800 is apparently the newer one (mine is a 98 model B190) that does not have the glass fuses and the k2 relay behind the control panel. As I mentioned earlier, it has a 5 amp fuse on the right side of the control which is OK. I'm thinking the relay function may be incorporated into the control board in my unit so at this point my control board is suspect.
Hubie
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler

Post by slapthecat »

Yep - that will be completely different than the pic I posted!
The letter at the very end of the Model number will tell you the "Spec", or Revision, of the gennie. Look for the parts catalog for your model and there should be a nice breakout diagram in there.
Also - check out http://www.flightsystems.com/. They have an Onan gennie Troubleshooting Guide that covers all Revs and has TONS of info. They've also been very good about answering questions via email!
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Thanks for all the good information and leads. Hope to have this problem solved in the next 3-4 days.
Hubie
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

those generic fuse holders can fail. I had to replace mine. Fuse was good. Do a test across the contacts of the fuse holder with a good fuse.

Phil
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

Planck,
Thanks for reminding me to check the fuse holder. I had not thought of that. Will do tomorrow.
Hubie
Hubie
Weekend Camper

Post by Hubie »

The fuse holder checked ok. Ended up pulling the generator out and found a loose ground at the starter. Starter showed some wear on the bendix so I am replacing the starter and electric fuel pump (just because gen is out), changing the spark plug and adjusting the valves. Also replacing the rubber gas line. When I get it all buttoned up, hopefullky it will run like new.
Hubie