Onan generator odor

2800 MicroLite by Onan
flyswatter
New User

Onan generator odor

Post by flyswatter »

About the only issue I have my with 1995 B190 is the Onan generator. While it's running, inside I can smell a faint exhaust odor; not enough to trip the carbon monoxide sensor but noticable. Then, after shutting down and driving with all vents and windows shut except for the driver's the exhaust or hot engine odor becomes stronger. I don't see anything obviously cracked or missing in the generator compartment.

Has anyone else experianced this?

Flyswatter
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

The generator compartment is under the couch, literally inside the camper. I'd look for a leak there - perhaps the compartment is leaking.

Also, if the exhaust is leaking, it could be seeping in to the camper somehow. Fortunately the exhaust kits are sold separately, if that's the problem.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

The only place there could be an exhaust leak is where the pipe connects the the generators muffler itself...and at the point there is a small exhaust clamp and that can be easily seen from the bottom only

We had one 2800 Onan that actually had several cracks in the muffler itself and that was easily detected by the sound it was making...I removed it and tig welded the cracks and its still working just fine. That condition was caused by the muffler mounting bolts coming loose

Either of those conditions above could bring exhaust fumes into the generator box but they should not get into the van itself

As I remember that box isn't actually sealed on the inside (where it actually could be) but they do have duct tape on the the seems on the outside of the gen box... (under the couch...)

I'd be checking all those seems very carefully...or they could also be sealed with something, especially where that gen enclosure meet the van's floor.
Eagle
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Eagle »

I replaced the muffler on my generator and when E & M Motors, who installed the generator, checked it I was told the wrong size clamp was used. The muffler would have fallen off when driving a long distance.

Seems as though the clamps you get at a parts store are not the correct size.

Just a suggestion to check the clamp too make sure it is the correct size and is tight.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Alaskan wrote:I'd be checking all those seems very carefully...or they could also be sealed with something, especially where that gen enclosure meet the van's floor.
Good advice, and remember that there's a hole where wires go through, too.

flyswatter
New User

odor problem solved

Post by flyswatter »

Solved the exhaust smell coming from the Onan. On the foreward part of the box under the sofa-bed which houses the generator is a duct taped patch. I think that it was cut in to allow work on the exhaust pipe. One corner of the tape had dried and lifted. It's now retaped and odor problem appears solved.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

(Merged back in with the original thread...)

Glad to hear that's all it was. :)