Gasoline smell

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Re: Gasoline smell

Post by Tucsonan »

babsy wrote:Update: I'm so happy to report I found the problem. I took the cover off the generator and started it from the outside to see if I could see anything...and sure enough the little black fuel line had separated itself from the other end which was right there in front. So, I just put back in place and all looks good. It think because it was so cold in Yosemite the rubber expanded and with the little vibration when running it just wiggled itself loose. I'm so happy that it was as simple as that. I was lucky. Thanks to all for your help.....very much appreciated.

Babsy
Great luck!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Cliff
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Keep an eye on it - if it came off by itself once, it'll do it again.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Babsy You don't mention model year, but my 93 fuel lines at the gen have spring clamps on the ends. Maybe yours are missing.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I had a gasoline smell when I would fill up the van and once it got down to a certain level the smell I felt slightly went away. The thinking is it has a gas cap that does not have a very good seal so hopefully, replacing that soon will eliminate that strong smell. If the windows are up and air conditioning on, there was no smell of gasoline.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

mountaindent -- on my 93, the situation you describe happened to me as well. On the top of the tank there is a vent tube that had rotted out over the years. When I filled up the tank, the sloshing around from driving caused some spilling. As the tank went down, it would go away. Thankfully, my mechanic was able to see it with an extension mirror and replace it without dropping the tank(whew!).
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Had the same issue when filling up. Quit “topping up” and just went with the automatic pump shutoff. Voila, no more gas smell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Thank you for the advice and will have them look at the vent and will stop topping the tank off. I like to stop and take breaks anyway with being retired. No hurry to get anywhere really just enjoying the ride and stop overs.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

This is the resolution(I hope) of the ongoing mystery with the gasoline smell. I have tried not topping off the tank when filling up which was a suggestion but, still that lingering smell. As told before in a previous post, I bought a new gas cap which an RV service place suggested to no avail. It was only after the generator was taken out and serviced when it was noted that no gasoline was getting to the generator. The tech checked the fuel line to the generator and deemed it in good shape(hard to believe for being 25 years but, true evidently). When the fuel line was connected back to the generator successfully, no more gasoline smell. I look back on comments from previous owners for years of this particular B190 and it was mentioned when they took the camper in for a checkup that the generator never really would get started and stay on. Happy to report that the generator works great now with only 53 hours on it and no more gas smell which used to permeate the cab area with or without the windows open until the tank level was down half.

Hope this helps others with that persistent gas smell with an unknown source. Perhaps, add this scenario as a possible source.
Travelisaverb
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1995

Post by Travelisaverb »

Yep... same prob amen. I had to replace my tube on the top of the gas tank. They found the leak using a smoke machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk