2800 MicroLite by Onan
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Gasoline smell

Post by babsy »

Hey there,
I have a very bad gasoline smell that can be smelled in the Van even with windows open and even outside the Van. This began this past weekend after being in very very cold weather and high altitude in Yosemite. The generator ran ok for the first day , a little sluggish but figured that was just from the altitude. The second day wouldn't start so I started the Van engine thinking that might help....It started and ran but very sluggish so turned off after about 10 minutes.. This is when I noticed an extremely strong gas smell throughout the Van. I tried airing out the Van but doesn't go away. I also noticed on the drive home with the windows open I can smell gas coming into the Van and when stopped can smell outside the Van. The generator hasn't been run for days yet I still smell gas coming in when driving and not driving??? Anybody have any idea where the leak is coming from. If it's coming from generator why would it smell after days of not running???? Could it be that it doesn't have to do with the generator at all and coming from a gas line from the Van's tank or something???? Any help or ideas so I can at least figure out whether to take it to the RV mechanic who services the generator or If I should take to the car mechanic who works on the Van engine.

Help :)

Thanks
Babsy
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Gasoline smell

Post by skater »

The generator pulls fuel from the gas tank so both systems are related. I don't have much advice, though - this is the sort of thing that requires hands-on searching for the leak.

You can open the generator access and see if you see or smell fuel strongly in there.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

I don't use my generator, but had a similar issue on my 93 a few years back. My mechanic told me it was a rotted vent tube on the top of the tank. He was able to replace it without dropping the tank using mirrors to see what he was doing.

Steve
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

I can smell gas when I open the generator access on outside and do smell gas but not overwhelming strong. If it's not running does it still pull from the main Van gas tank? I'd think it would be just residue gas in the line if it's not running. Do you know if the gas line to the generator is metal? If so due to the extreme cold I was in it could be cracked???
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

Thanks for the replies: Weekender, do you remember if that rotted tube was made of metal? If so, that could be it because it could have cracked in the extreme cold? Do you think I should take first to car mechanic and if he doesn't see anything then to the RV systems mechanic. I wish I had a mechanic that did both RV systems and the Van engine but I don't out here in SJ California.
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

The vent tub on mine was rubber. The gas smell for me was strongest when the tank was full, less so as the tank emptied. This did solve it though. If it happens to be the same, it was inexpensive especially because he was able to replace the tube without dropping the tank!

Steve
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Tucsonan »

I had a strong smell of gasoline inside and outside the van that turned out to be just a crack in the filler neck hose. It was hard to see and I found it using my cell phone camera. I changed it and haven't had the problem since. I only mention it because I was sure it had to be somewhere else around the generator (because of the smell inside). Sometimes it pays to check off the simple things first.

Good Luck!
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

Tucsonan wrote:I had a strong smell of gasoline inside and outside the van that turned out to be just a crack in the filler neck hose. It was hard to see and I found it using my cell phone camera. I changed it and haven't had the problem since. I only mention it because I was sure it had to be somewhere else around the generator (because of the smell inside). Sometimes it pays to check off the simple things first.

Good Luck!
So you could see using your camera by opening the gas cap and looking down the filler neck?
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

babsy wrote:
Tucsonan wrote:I had a strong smell of gasoline inside and outside the van that turned out to be just a crack in the filler neck hose. It was hard to see and I found it using my cell phone camera. I changed it and haven't had the problem since. I only mention it because I was sure it had to be somewhere else around the generator (because of the smell inside). Sometimes it pays to check off the simple things first.

Good Luck!
So you could see using your camera by opening the gas cap and looking down the filler neck?
I went up from under the van and took photos from many angles around the filler neck. Also, look for signs of "fuel dripping" on the sides of the tank.
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

I had the same problem Weekender and Tucsonan had. The filler is the big tube and the fill vent tube is the little one. It is very common for the vent tube to crack on the ford vehicles of the era. I don't remember the length but it is 3/4 in. ID fuel safe hose. I spent a little extra and used silicone hose so it wouldn't reoccur. Also since this is in generators I did have to replace the 1/4 in fuel line between the generator and the fuel tank. I didn't smell fuel from that but it doesn't mean it isn't possible. My gen was sucking air and stalling because the line was dry rotted. I could squeeze the hose and get fuel to seep out.
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

DavidP-
I think it might be the line between the generator and the fuel tank. Was that difficult to replace?

thanks
Barbara
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

DavidP-
I think it might be the line between the generator and the fuel tank. Was that difficult to replace? How did you replace yours?

thanks
Barbara
DavidP
Weekend Camper

Post by DavidP »

You need to pull the the gen set out of the compartment. Remove the exhaust pipe from underneath. 1/2 in wrench on the clamp and a little wiggling to get it off. I put new retainer bolts on my gen set but it should have 9/16 heads. Remove the bolts also from underneath. You can then slide the generator out onto a table of sorts. Once you have the generator out just enough you will be able to see everything in the compartment. The hose and cables were long enough to pull it out about a foot further then the opening. The 1/4 inch fuel line goes from the rear left side of the generator to the fuel tank through a hole in the back of the compartment. I forget how much line I bought but it is basically quarter inch low pressure fuel hose. The tricky part might be removing and installing the end at the gas tank. And why you have the chance it out it might not be a bad time to change the internal fuel line and a new filter. You will need a Torx bit to remove the screws that hold the rapper on.
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by slapthecat »

One other point - I had a strong gas smell a year ago as well. It turned out to be a broken hose on the emissions evaporator canister. On my '90, it's under the passenger door. A hose runs from the gas tank emission valves (on top) to these two canisters. For me, the hose from the first canister to the second was completely severed. Very easy to replace.
babsy
Weekend Camper

Post by babsy »

Update: I'm so happy to report I found the problem. I took the cover off the generator and started it from the outside to see if I could see anything...and sure enough the little black fuel line had separated itself from the other end which was right there in front. So, I just put back in place and all looks good. It think because it was so cold in Yosemite the rubber expanded and with the little vibration when running it just wiggled itself loose. I'm so happy that it was as simple as that. I was lucky. Thanks to all for your help.....very much appreciated.

Babsy