2800 MicroLite by Onan
Mark
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1997
WBCCI: 0

Getting rid of my generator....

Post by Mark »

And microvave.

The only reason I have the generator is to power the microwave, which I rarely use. I've already gotten rid of my AC unit.

Good idea?
If it ain't fun - it ain't done!
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Re: Getting rid of my generator....

Post by Kentuckian »

We've never had a generator in our B and haven't really missed it. We did add solar and increased battery capacity. The only time I'd like more power than we have is to leave the AC on for the dog for those times when we need to leave the camper and she can't come along. One of these day's I may do a killer lithium battery pack to address that. In Nevada I would think you could run a swamp cooler on battery power pretty easily? Our humidity is too high in the summer for us to use evaporative cooling here in the southeast.
1993 Airstream B190
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Just now I junked my AC.
I'm going to wait till I start my summer job in Tahoe before I take out the generator and I'll try to sell it.
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991

Post by micabarry »

I traveled for 17 years in old Airstream trailers without a generator so when I bought my 91 2 years ago the first thing I did was yank out the generator which only had 30 hours on it. I plugged the fuel line and carefully marked wires before stuffing them back under couch, sealed the exhaust hole and pop riveted a piece of aluminum over the vent in the door to have as dry a space as possible. I use it to store a large enclosed bin full of all my septic stuff, water hoses, oil and spare parts. I installed a female solar plug inside and connected it to the existing DC from generator back to battery. I love the extra space. After putting 20K miles on it coast to coast I can tell you I never missed having a generator. I do have a new Fantastic Fan and 1/2" foil back insulation cut to the size of every window which I install if it is too cold or too hot. My wife and I live in it solid for 3 months each year. We backcountry some so I have a GoalZero solar generator that sits behind the drivers seat and a portable solar panel that stores in the tub. (I have a cover for the tub and use that for storage also.) Shower hose will reach outside back door for outside shower when campground baths are unavailable. No TV or microwave. Guess removing it depends on how you camp and how imporant the extra space is. For me it was important because we were on the road so long, but I also wanted to be able to reassemble it all if I ever sell it. Hope this helps.
Mark
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Mark »

Thanks!