Generator Location

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1989
WBCCI: 0

Generator Location

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Excuse my ignorance. In my '89, my 1400 watt generator is located in an exterior cabinet passenger side aft. Since this is hardly big enough to power a toaster, we are upgrading. I found a MicroLite 2800 but the only place I can find for it to fit is under the couch, as there is no space big enough under the frame. Is 'under the couch' where they typically are located (I hate to lose the storage)? Since I have to pull a car trailer everywhere we go, we are now looking at the Champion 3100 Electric Start to just leave on the trailer and run shore power to it. Any thoughts?
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Generator Location

Post by Tucsonan »

Yes, they are typically located in an exterior access box under the sofa directly behind the driver's seat. I have seen rear bumper boxes/mounts for Honda generators. Probably much easier than fabricating a box under the sofa?
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Oldbagpipe »

Since storage is golden, we elected to go with an exterior generator. Most of the time we are pulling the car trailer, so our Champion 3400kw rides there. When we don't have the trailer, we use a cargo carrier hooked into the trailer hitch for the generator, cooler, chairs, and such. What's neat about this generator is that it has remote start so we just press a button from wherever we are and presto! Brand new, $800, and free shipping from electricgeneratorsdirect.com was tough to beat!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990

Post by Choptop »

Oldbagpipe wrote:Since storage is golden, we elected to go with an exterior generator. Most of the time we are pulling the car trailer, so our Champion 3400kw rides there. When we don't have the trailer, we use a cargo carrier hooked into the trailer hitch for the generator, cooler, chairs, and such. What's neat about this generator is that it has remote start so we just press a button from wherever we are and presto! Brand new, $800, and free shipping from electricgeneratorsdirect.com was tough to beat!
Been looking at the same one, have a Honda 2000 but I would have to buy another to run anything and I can buy the champion for less. I just purchased an aluminum rack, 500 lb capacity, that mounts in my receiver, sounds like we are on the same page.
Oldbagpipe
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Oldbagpipe »

I have been very pleased with the Champion. Easy start and much more quiet than I expected, after reading many reviews. Nobody can argue with a Honda as they are always at the top. However, I felt I was paying too much for the name, and couldn't find anybody who would talk-down the Champion. I had decided I was going with the Champion for $900 and while I stalled, waiting to pull the trigger, they all of a sudden put them on sale for $800. Boom, I pressed enter. I couldn't find a better deal than online at egd with no tax or shipping.