Need a generator

2800 MicroLite by Onan
birdcreeker
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Need a generator

Post by birdcreeker »

We recently purchased a 1994 B190 and are excited to get on the road. The generator has been removed. What is the best option for replacing it. I've thought of buying a stand alone but hauling it and extra gas could be a problem. Thanks for any ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Need a generator

Post by skater »

birdcreeker wrote:We recently purchased a 1994 B190 and are excited to get on the road. The generator has been removed. What is the best option for replacing it. I've thought of buying a stand alone but hauling it and extra gas could be a problem. Thanks for any ideas.
There are basically two options.

1. The only one that fits that I could find when I was looking (granted, back in 2006, but I don't think it has changed much) was the original model, the Onan 2800, which is still being made. You can get gasoline or propane versions; you'll most likely want gas.

2. The other is a portable generator, but as you've already noted you need to find a place to keep it and fuel for it. Personally I wouldn't want to keep them inside the camper because of the smell. A portable generator won't fit in the box where the Onan would go.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
birdcreeker
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by birdcreeker »

Thanks for the info. Do the Onan generators work well? Hooking it up will be a challenge. Any ideas of the best places to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

birdcreeker wrote:Thanks for the info. Do the Onan generators work well? Hooking it up will be a challenge. Any ideas of the best places to buy.
I wasn't super impressed with the new one I had installed (to replace the original one). It was sometimes hard to start, and it burned some oil - not a lot, but enough that I had to watch it. And if it was a bit low on oil, it would stall while I was on the road, on hills, killing the rooftop air conditioner, and I had no way to restart it from the driver's seat. It was also a lot louder than an inverter generator like the Honda EU series or the equivalent Yamaha or Champion models.

But...that said...it's still the best (only!) option if you want it built in. I think if I had it to do over, I'd probably install one again and just be a lot more religious about checking oil and all.

To install one, you'll need to wire up a transfer switch, a 12 volt power line, a starter connection, a fuel line, and an exhaust.

They came with an automatic transfer switch that was mounted under the couch, and that probably is the easiest option - otherwise it needs to be mounted where you can access it.

The 12 volt line powered the starter. Also, the generator had to see 12 volts on that wire while it was running or it would shut down. Obviously you'll want constant power.

The remote starter connection is optional. There's one on the generator, and then usually one installed above the sink inside the van so you don't have to go outside to start it. To make life easier you could run it to the panel under the couch or something like that.

Fuel is obvious; mine was plumbed into the supply from the front tank. If you only have one tank, they're usually plumbed so that it won't draw the tank down below a third so you can't strand yourself with the generator. However, I'm pretty sure Airstream skipped that precaution and just connected them to the Ford fuel system.

Exhaust is pretty obvious, you buy a kit, drill a hole in the cabinet, and route it outside; the usual exhaust location is right in front of the left rear tire.

When I had mine replaced, I took it to a Cummins/Onan dealer near here. I assume an RV place that sells them could do the installation as well. As I recall the generator installed (note, I was replacing one, so they didn't have to run new wiring) was somewhere around $2200.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit