Generator Quits Running

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Generator Quits Running

Post by Sheila G »

Hi my generator quits running about 5 minutes after I start it up and then it won't start again. Also I'm smelling strong gasoline fumes inside when it's running. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks.
SheilaG
slapthecat
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Generator Quits Running

Post by slapthecat »

Fumes inside is not good... if all the windows are closed, I'd think it'd have to be a bad seal on the generator compartment. Only other suspect opening is where the 30A plug comes out of the vehicle. On mine, it's pretty much above the gennie muffler.

As for the generator - possibly the internal fuel pump. You can check it - when the gennie stops running, disconnect the fuel line from the fuel filter and hit the start button - that will activate the fuel pump - if it's working, fuel will come out the disconnected hose (have something to catch it!). If not, nothing will happen. That would at least confirm whether gas is getting to the carb or not when it stops running.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

For the fumes, also check the exhaust pipe connections and the condition of the pipe.

I think slapthecat's suggestion is better, but also check the oil - it'll shut down on low oil. To check it, I'm pretty sure you have to remove the dipstick, clean it, then put it back in without screwing it down, then read it again. Double check the manual.

Is it stalling, or is it shutting itself down? It might be hard to tell the difference in some situations.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Remove the cover from the generator and start it. Look for fuel leaks on the 2 rubber hoses before and after the filter. The hose between the filter and carb had a bend. Mine sprung a leak there, causing fuel fumes inside camper. Replaced with new, quality hose and problem fixed.
Sheila G
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 2000

Post by Sheila G »

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I will check it out this weekend.

Cheers.
SheilaG
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Sheila G wrote:Hi my generator quits running about 5 minutes after I start it up and then it won't start again. Also I'm smelling strong gasoline fumes inside when it's running. Does anyone have an idea what the problem could be?

Thanks.
SheilaG
Sheila G, I have the same problem with generator starting and stops after about 1 minute for me. I figure that I need to have it taken out and serviced. Hoping that it does not need a new carburetor.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler

Post by lido14co »

Once it’s serviced and working properly, it’s imperative that you run it under load (a/c is good for this) every month or so for an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chickengrease
B190 Year: 0

Post by Chickengrease »

Our Onan was doing same thing, carb was flooding. Check spark plug to see if it's soaked. Float is all plastic so level can't be adjusted, and believe me I tried. ie heating it up and bending, JB Weld. super glue shim. Oh, and part not available so you're stuck for whole carb. I gotta believe ethanol eats up rubber and plastic parts. Good ending though, new carb made it run like new.
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Well Murphy's law strikes again after generator problems over the last couple of months I couldn't figure out I took it to industrial electric on Dec 1. They didn't have parts so finally yesterday I get a call parts are installed still nothing!
Next would be open it up probably a bad stator and $-? I pulled the trigger on a new one.
Being installed this morning.
But I'll be camping tomorrow

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Has anyone had to replace the rubber fuel line to the generator? How hard is that to do?