Generator Surge

2800 MicroLite by Onan
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Generator Surge

Post by craigmar »

Yeasterday when I did my monthly generator run, the generator would not maintain a constant R.P.M. but instead ran with a constant surge of regular R.P.M. and then drop, constant R.P.M. and drop. to better explain, the lights would go bright then dim, bright,dim etc. the same with the fan on the air conditioner. Anyone else have that problem or know what is causing it. By way of info, the generator has never done this before during monthly runs even when cold and snowy weather was the norm.
Thanks, CraigMar
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Generator Surge

Post by skater »

craigmar wrote:Yeasterday when I did my monthly generator run, the generator would not maintain a constant R.P.M. but instead ran with a constant surge of regular R.P.M. and then drop, constant R.P.M. and drop. to better explain, the lights would go bright then dim, bright,dim etc. the same with the fan on the air conditioner. Anyone else have that problem or know what is causing it. By way of info, the generator has never done this before during monthly runs even when cold and snowy weather was the norm.
Hmmm. When my old generator was doing that, it'd be better under load and would just surge at idle. Have you checked the air filter and fuel filter on it? They're pretty easy to replace and not very expensive.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
WBCCI: 0

Post by craigmar »

Please see my post in November for an update as to the problem and also a possible solution. So far since I've changed the filters etc. I have not experienced the problem since and have been running the gen set on a regular basis. I had an occassion to run the gen at the hospital where my wife underwent surgery and because the hospital was about 50 miles from home I just stayed in the van and had the gen running 10 or so hours so that the heater/furnace kept the van comfy and experienced no problems even in below freezing temps.