Newbie and Generator starting

2800 MicroLite by Onan
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Newbie and Generator starting

Post by weekender »

Hello-- After extensive research-- much of it on this fantastic site, I just purchased a 93 with 30K miles. It has been very well maintained with the sole exception of the generator. It has just 1.4 hours logged, but has not been started or serviced in a number of years-- Suggestions on how to safely go about starting the unit? I take delivery on Thursday, and will be using the camper this coming weekend, ideally with a working generator.

Thanks
Steve
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Welcome to the site, Steve, and congratulations on your purchase! I've moved your question to the Generators forum.

Ideally you'd actually change the oil in the generator before trying it. However, if your van doesn't have a drain underneath the generator - and most don't - you're looking at removing the generator to change the oil. It weighs 113 lbs, so it's kind of difficult to do.

At the very least, check the oil. Pull the dipstick out, wipe it off, then put it back in but don't screw it down, then pull it out and read it again - this is the proper method for reading it. Obviously you want the oil near full. Onan 15W-40 oil is good for most situations, but they recommend different oils if you're going to be using it in hotter weather only or colder weather only.

Pull the spark plug. It's a 15/16" spark plug socket (I think that's the size - it's the same as what a lot of lawn mowers use). There's a little plug to make it easier to get the socket on to the spark plug. Check the condition of the plug, or just replace it outright. Be sure to check the gap on it before reinstalling.

Check the air filter - it's right above the start switch in the generator, behind a black plastic piece. Also, a new fuel filter probably would be a good idea - it's the chrome piece, usually covered with foam, that is between the oil fill/dipstick and the panel with the start switch.

You're probably going to have bad gasoline in the generator. Changing the fuel filter would help, but in any case I expect that you'll have to do quite a bit of cranking to get it to start, and it'll probably stall on you repeatedly. Mine is brand new and it stalls, so you can imagine what one that's been sitting is going to run like.

Once it's running and stabilizes, you should hear the transfer switch kick over to generator power, and the power light in the GFCI outlet should come on to indicate you have power. At that point you can start the A/C or whatever - but I would ramp up the load slowly - turn the fan on low, then medium, then high, let it stabilize, then turn it to the "cool" position... at which point the generator might stall.

Keep in mind that Onan recommends that you run the generator four hours per month, so you see what you may be up against. Your generator sounds a lot like what condition the original one in my van was in when I bought the camper - although it had 200+ hours on it from the first owner's use, the second owner had never used it, and she'd had it for a few years. I got a couple hours out of it, but it never ran correctly, and it finally died, and two shops told me it probably wasn't worth fixing. Hopefully you won't run into that.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Many Thanks!

Post by weekender »

Logical steps-- I'll let you know how it goes
Steve
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Post by craigmar »

One of the problems I had with my generator when I first bought the van wasn't the generator at all but the coach battery not being in good shape so I would check that also as it had enough charge to just get things started but not long term duration. After I took the van into get serviced for the generator because of the stalling etc. they replaced the battery and I have not had a problem since
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

craigmar wrote:One of the problems I had with my generator when I first bought the van wasn't the generator at all but the coach battery not being in good shape so I would check that also as it had enough charge to just get things started but not long term duration. After I took the van into get serviced for the generator because of the stalling etc. they replaced the battery and I have not had a problem since
Ah, excellent point - the generator needs to see 12 volts DC for some reason while it's running. Usually, starting the generator would power up the converter which would supply 12 volts to the generator, so it'll keep itself alive.

bryanl

Post by bryanl »

you need 12v for the starter, Once the genset is started, it will provide its own needs.

To change oil, you can get a big syringe at the auto store with a short plastic tube on the end. Stick the tube down the oil fill, suck up a load, spit it into a bottle, and repeat until you draw air.

I hope your genset is properly installed. Mine isn't using the proper fuel feed nor is the cooling air exhaust hole properly sized for necessary air flow.

The biggest problem from sitting is that the carb might be clogged with varnish. Lower odds are for internal rust or perhaps a magnet fail.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

bryanl wrote:you need 12v for the starter, Once the genset is started, it will provide its own needs.
Mine definitely has some sort of 12v requirement after starting. I discovered this when I had the coach battery disconnected, the generator running, and the engine off. When I shut off the breaker for the 12 volt converter, the generator shut down immediately.

weekender
Seasoned Traveler

Update on Generator

Post by weekender »

Well I was able to get the generator to turn over, and after much coaxing with the choke, I have gotten it to stay running, however it is not running stable. Been running Carb cleaner and starting/running it every day-- seems to be getting better. Waiting for a new fuel filter on order-- Thanks for all the suggestions.

Incidentally- first camping weekend was a great success-- a nice step up from the usual tent camping-- so nice to have running water, and a toilet on board
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Re: Newbie and Generator starting

Post by nvestysly »

I realize this is an old thread but it's pertinent to my situation as I'll be trying to start a B190 generator after several years of non-use. The oil has been changed, and the generator turns over (starter works) but it does not start. I'll be checking it this week and will report back.

I'm guessing it may need a new carburetor. I see a few sites on the web that sell carburetors but they are very expensive - approx. $400. Is this correct? Is there another alternative? I live in a metro area - maybe I'll check to see if there is an Onan parts shop in town.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992

Post by lido14co »

Make sure you have enough gas in your gas tank. I seem to remember a post that says the gen won't run if the tank gets too low to prevent you from running out of gas. Try cranking it for 10-15 seconds for about 5 minutes. Check to make sure your plug is firing (not sure how to do this without pulling the generator). Last free advice would be trying to spray some gumout in the carb if you can. Good luck!

Cliff
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

You can also remove the fuel line from the carb to see if the pump is working. No gas to the carb means no start. Non-working pump could be caused by faulty fuse holder, not the fuse itself, so 12 volts not getting to the pump.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

STARTING FLUID NOT RECOMMENDED...

Good suggestions...the carbs on that Onan are very fussy when not used for extended lengths of time.

If all else fails you can try this carefully to determine if the carb is plugged somewhere inside from sitting...remove the air cleaner and with a small squirt-bottle of fuel give the carb some manually to see
if it will then start, usually they will....if it won't remain running w/o additional fuel being squirted in its gonna be time to disassemble and thoroughly clean the carb...not difficult
nvestysly
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 16771

Post by nvestysly »

I thought I posted a comment last night but I don't see it here so I'll try again.

The short story is the generator started and we were able to operate the microwave then switch over to AC. Yippee!

I was prepared to purchase several parts including a new fuel pump and carburetor if needed. Fortunately, neither was required. We had attempted to start the generator several times when we were purchasing the van. I tried again yesterday and it didn't start. So I began troubleshooting. Checked the fuel pump - it worked. Checked the spark plug - it was wet with gas, did not look fouled but I went ahead and cleaned it with a soft bristle wire brush. In addition, the spark was weak at the spark plug wire - it only jumped about 1/4", it was a blue spark but seemed a little weak to me. Put everything back together and the generator still didn't start. I tried a little starting fluid but that didn't seem to help either and I saw some posts indicating starting fluid was not recommended. So now I'm thinking new carburetor. The Cummins parts house near me has them in stock for $173.00 so I'm thinking of taking the plunge except it's already after 5:00 PM.

One last time I try the start button and I noticed the throttle mechanism is bouncing around from wide-open to closed. Maybe it does this as it's trying to start. So I simply hold the throttle wide-open and in a second or two the generator is running...

That's good news but it seemed rough in the first few moments so I just let it do it's thing for 10 minutes or so. After that, tried the microwave and AC - all seems good.

We ran it for over two hours last night with the AC and it worked fine. Used it again this morning and still runs fine. Hope it continues to work well for many years to come.
We sold our 1998 B190, V-10
Currently own a 2010 Airstream Interstate
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Great news. Way to stick with it.
Yeah.
lido14co
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992