Newbie and Generator starting

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Chickengrease
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Re: Newbie and Generator starting

Post by Chickengrease »

nvestysly wrote: .

One last time I try the start button and I noticed the throttle mechanism is bouncing around from wide-open to closed. Maybe it does this as it's trying to start. So I simply hold the throttle wide-open and in a second or two the generator is running...

That's good news but it seemed rough in the first few moments so I just let it do it's thing for 10 minutes or so. After that, tried the microwave and AC - all seems good.
I have to go outside and fiddle with the throttle plates while I crank it the first time after it hasn't run in a while. Then I goose it a couple times to rev it up and all is well
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

Tomorrow I am taking the camper to a private RV dealership that has always been great to work with lately. I have printed or copied some of the ideas about the B190 generator issues from non-use mainly with hopes this will be a helpful guide in the troubleshooting stage. Thanks again folks for being a great information source in the never-ending attempt to get this camper back to some glory days.
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

I took the camper Friday to RV Services in Asheville, NC off of Interstate 40 (the private shop where the people are really nice and helpful while being reasonable). Had all the similar problems in the posts about non-starting of generator probably due from non-use or maintenance lacking. I called them today to check on the progress and was expecting the worse because certainly, I would not be that lucky story like in many of the posts where it just "started right up" after, a minor discovery and adjustment.

Eureka! The generator wiring was a little loose and they are going to check the rubber fuel line to the generator because on the table the generator started right up and they ran it for 1 1/2 hours just to make sure all was good. What a relief! While the camper and generator are twenty-five years old the generator only had a ridiculously low number of hours of use. This makes dry camping a reality. Happy Endings do come true!