Oil Change-Eeeezeee and faaassst

2800 MicroLite by Onan
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Oil Change-Eeeezeee and faaassst

Post by craigmar »

There have been a few mentions about changing the oil in the generator and what a pain in the butt it is. I too, dreaded the change because of what was posted and didn't look forward to pulling the generator just for a quart of oil so I looked for a better way. Harbor Freight has on sale for $3.99, a siphon pump kit that has a hand pump, a couple of 1/2" clear plastic hoses. a 1/4" hose, a couple of adapters and even an air pump adapter so you can use the pump to fill balls etc.
Basically all you need to do is cut about a 4'' peice off one of the larger hoses, stick it on the top of the pump and then put in the adapter for the 1/4" hose. Put a large hose on the bottom of the pump and put the end in a recepticle (empty milk container). Put the 1/4" hose in the oil fill and pump away. The oil will not siphon as a liquid like gas or water will and you need to pump the oil out (about two minutes or so depending upon how fast you want to pump) but I swear that it takes longer to get set up(about 10 min) then it does to pump the oil out, put new oil in and close the filler hole, button up the panel and go in and have a cup of tea.
I did run the gen for about 10 min's to get the oil warm and runny and also put the passenger side up on the curb so that the oil would pool towards the filler but it's a heck of a lot easier then moving the gen or screwing around with a turkey baster.
I have seen similar pumps at Checker, Pep Boy and Napa but they were a little more in cost ($6-$10) and we have a Harbor Freight about 3 blocks from home.
This pump can be used to transfer fuel from you tank to a gas can, tank to tank etc. so it is now in a plastic bag in a storage compartment in the van. Probably will be used often to change the oil in the lawn mower, tiller etc. every spring as well.
Hope this helps and if you read this before the holidays, may you partake in the peace offered and also enjoy the holiday foods.
Last edited by craigmar on Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Sounds like good advice. I'll have to try that.

By the way, the turkey baster idea didn't work at all - you just can't get in there well enough. :(
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
babsy
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Re: Oil Change-Eeeezeee and faaassst

Post by babsy »

I'm just had my generator serviced which included an oil change. Other than a trip to high altitude of 5000 ft in which it would start but run a bit sluggish, then once off I would have to wait many hours to be able to start again. (I think because there was too much fuel in it for the amount of oxygen it was getting?), it runs great. My question is how often do I need to have the oil changed ? and a full service? Is it based on hours? years???

thanks
Babsy
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Oil Change-Eeeezeee and faaassst

Post by skater »

babsy wrote:I'm just had my generator serviced which included an oil change. Other than a trip to high altitude of 5000 ft in which it would start but run a bit sluggish, then once off I would have to wait many hours to be able to start again. (I think because there was too much fuel in it for the amount of oxygen it was getting?), it runs great. My question is how often do I need to have the oil changed ? and a full service? Is it based on hours? years???

thanks
Babsy
Hours - you're supposed to change it every 100 hours or something like that. If you have the owners' manual, it should be in there.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit