B190 Airstream 1995 - Onan Generator installation

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Weberlein
New User

B190 Airstream 1995 - Onan Generator installation

Post by Weberlein »

Hi,
I recently purchased a used onan 2800 microlite generator for my 1995 airstream B190. The unit runs fine, but I was wondering if anyone can give me some feedback on istalling the unit.
What I might need to buy in addition, such as pipes, hardware, or mufflers etc.
Any photos or general installation instructions would help me greatly.
Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Bill
weberlein@optonline.net
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

You need the exhaust kit for it. It goes down and puts out the exhaust right in front of the rear wheel on that side (not aimed at the tire of course - aimed out to the side).

Also, the generator-equipped campers have an automatic transfer switch mounted under the couch - I suspect yours has one, but it's worth double checking. In mine, it's a black electrical box (like a service disconnect box, but without the switch outside). If it doesn't have a transfer switch, you can either install an automatic or manual one - I'd suggest either being good with electricity or having an electrician install it.

A fuel line is spliced off the feed for the front fuel tank in mine. If there's no line already available for this purpose (which I suspect will be the case), you'll have to add one. If you only have one fuel tank, the proper solution is to add another feed to the fuel tank above the bottom of the tank so that you can't run out of gas (stranding yourself) just from running the generator. In reality, Airstream probably just spliced into an existing fuel line somewhere in all of them.

The generator needs to see 12 volts to start and run, which you probably already know. There's a wire that I can't identify coming from the selenoid (or something) near the deep cycle battery that I think supplies the 12 volts for the generator.

I would make a hole in the generator cabinet so that you can drain the oil out of it easily, without having to remove it, before you install the generator. Otherwise, it's just bolted down in there.

Good luck!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Bill....welcome to the website

Lets first determine if maybe your rig originally came with a generator.

Does it have the control panel ?

Is there wiring in the generator compartment, one positive battery cable, hole in the bottom where the exhaust pipe would exit ??