Newbies w/lots of questions...Generators?

2800 MicroLite by Onan
TrishaNeil
New User

Newbies w/lots of questions...Generators?

Post by TrishaNeil »

My husband and I just bought our first RV...a B-190. We are pretty "clueless" as to how things work. It did NOT come with a generator and we'd like to shop for a used one. My husband thought he read somewhere that there were 2 models that would work. Does anyone know the generator part number(s) that will fit in a B-190? Also, what does the deep cycle battery run when the RV is not hooked up to power? Our lights work but the A/C does not. Do we need a generator for A/C & microwave when not hooked up? Thanks!!
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Post by weekender »

Welcome to the B190 world. You will not find a better RV in this size. I believe there is only one size generator that will fit in the space provided. Sadly it is pretty pricey as well-- If I am wrong, better experts on here will be able to give you the options.

The AC and the Microwave are the 2 things that the House battery is not able to handle-- they draw too much power. Be careful of using the van's stereo as well, as it is connected to the vans regular battery--easy to draw that battery down.

Have fun with your new toy

Steve
TrishaNeil
New User

Post by TrishaNeil »

Thanks for the reply, Steve. We love our new "toy" and are waiting for some nicer weather to take it "out" for an overnight. If we get a generator, will we be able to run the microwave and A/C when not hooked up? I have 2 horses and am looking to tow them into the mountains and backcountry for week-end "getaways". I just want to know what I can use and what I can't use when not "hooked up". A friend of mine has a camper shell with some solar panels and she claims it runs her respirator all night long when she is "off grid". Advice??
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yes, you would need a generator to use the A/C or microwave. There is only one model I'm aware of that fits, and believe me, I searched and searched for alternatives. The one that fits is the Onan Microlite 2800. In 2006, I had a new one installed (replacing an old one) for about $2200, if I remember correctly. The wiring should be in place for one to be added to your rig, so I'd expect a cost somewhere in that same neighborhood.

You can add solar cells, and the camper is wired for them. If you look in my pictures in the gallery you'll see one I took while I was up on the roof of the box that contains the wires for the solar panels. Those wires are above the florescent light, I'm told (haven't looked myself), and I think they run down to the electrical panel (again, haven't looked for it, but there is an unexplained, capped-off wire in my panel that may be for the solar wiring).

If you're planning to do a lot of "boondocking" (off grid), you may want to add a second battery - you have to get a box for it, then get a battery that's safe to have inside, such as an AGM-type battery. A couple solar panels will help maintain the charge in the batteries while you camp. In theory you would add up the draw of all of the devices you plan to use, then buy the solar cells accordingly. In reality you can easily start with a small panel or two and a controller, then add on to the system later.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
weekender
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by weekender »

Skater is one of the experts--believe what he says. I frequently boondock with mine-- the single house battery holds up surprisingly well, though the second battery would give an extra layer of peace of mind. If you are running the generator, or start the van, the house battery gets a charge as well. For me, that is all it usually takes to keep my house battery in good shape. I'm not a big fan of the noise the generator makes when I am camped in a very quiet spot, so I try to rely heavily on the house battery.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

The Onan Microlite 2800 is the only generator that fits correctly...

Might know of an extra slightly used one near you..

Shop around and perhaps look on eBay also for a new or used one..

Here is one at $2185

http://www.coloradostandby.com/catalog/ ... ce=froogle

American RV..$2199

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Cummin ... _1723.html

We have a Generator Forum

http://b190.com/modules.php?name=Forums ... forum&f=24
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Moved to the Generators forum. :)