Intermittent generator operation

2800 MicroLite by Onan
geoko
New User

Intermittent generator operation

Post by geoko »

Just posted this on www.airforums.com/forums/f240/ site and felt I also should post it here: Generator on my 1995 B190 started becoming erratic. Had it serviced by competent Onan dealer and thought problem solved. It wasn't. On rework found gasline fuel line from under vehicle was badly deteriorated so it was replaced. Still erratic. Finally dropped fuel tank and found kinks in short stretch of generator fuel line was causing intermittent fuel flow. Finally have dependable generator again. Cost of repairs would have been less had this all been done at one time. Suggest that all similar B190s of this vintage consider this solution if generator problems develop.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Moved this to the Generators forum.

That's a good thing to check. Mine is occasionally erratic (surging and such), and I'm suspecting it's a fuel/heat related problem - possibly bad flow, filter is clogged, vapor lock, something like that. I'm going to take a look at it soon and see if I can find anything.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Gen quit - aged fuel line

Post by lv2roam »

My gen had been doing fine but suddenly quit. After checking things out found no fuel coming to the filter. Turned out the fuel line from the tank was aged and cracked - gen was sucking air! Had to drop the van fuel tank to repair - ouch.