High altitude Generator operation

2800 MicroLite by Onan
gwbaker

High altitude Generator operation

Post by gwbaker »

Alaskan,

I noticed on one of your posts that your generator has an adjustment for altitude. I live at 9300' and would love to be able to adjust this thing as it pukes black stuff on the ground here in Colorado. Thanks,

Greg
1993 B190, soon to get a rear locker and lift kit for some off road camping
gwbaker

Post by gwbaker »

CherylC wrote:I live at 9,000 and have no problem with gen. Just make sure you start it every month. Our biggest problem is keeping the coach battery charged. Finally just took all the fuses out so nothing can drain it.
Maybe so, but it still is still not running efficiently. These generators are set up and tuned to run at sea level up to 3000'. Anything above that, and it is not running as well as it should. So back to the original question: Where did Alaskan get the altitude compensator? Thanks,

Greg
1993 B190, soon to get a rear locker and lift kit for some off road camping
funtwodrv
Weekend Camper

Post by funtwodrv »

Great question, as we live at 314' and plan to spend some time in Estes Park next year. I never thought about this but, can see where it would be good to know how to address this when the time comes.
Gary
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Looks to be a simple adjustment...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you travel at high altitudes or in extreme temperatures, your generator can lose power. In such lower-density air conditions, you can’t operate as many electrical devices as you could under normal operating conditions.
Power decreases 3.5% for each 1,000 feet above an altitude of 500 feet.

For example, to operate at 4,500 feet (4,000 feet above rated generator altitude) multiply 3.5% x 4 (4,000 ft) = 14% power loss. Then multiply .14 x your generator’s power rating: 4,000 watts x .14 = a loss of 560 watts at that altitude.

Power decreases in extreme temperatures by 1% for each 10° F (5.5° C)
above 85° F (29.4°C).

Altitude.....

Power output will decrease 3.5% for each 1,000 ft above Onan’s base rated altitude of 500 feet.

Temperature.....

Power output will decrease 1% for each 10-degree F increase in ambient temp above 85 degrees F.

• The generator is not the only appliance affected by hot weather. Your coach A/C units require more power at higher temps. For example, a temp increase from 85 to 110 requires 20-25% more power to run efficiently. This can also limit your ability to run as many electrical devices.

• Make sure the engine oil viscosity is appropriate for the weather. Onan recommends 15W-40 oil. OnaMax is specially formulated for the operating conditions of your generator.

• If you experience problems, set the altitude adjustment know (if equipped.)

• Make sure nothing blocks the air flow, perform maintenance and set summer/winter preheat levels. Winter=temps below 55, Summer=temps above 55.
lv2roam
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1998
WBCCI: 0

Gen Settings

Post by lv2roam »

How do you set the pre-heat for winter or summer? I see the sticker saying to set for summer but no instructions on what to set or how? Thanks for any help.

Bob