2.8 KV ONAN GENERATOR

2800 MicroLite by Onan
tinman176
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 11801

2.8 KV ONAN GENERATOR

Post by tinman176 »

I just replaced the carburetor on my Onan generator.The unit is a 1992 B-190.The generator has about 35 hours total use on it and has been run as per requirements to keep the gas from glogging up the works.
I tried to get around the problem of surging by cleaning the carb and installing a new fuel filter.It did not change anything, so I bought and installed a new carburetor.

The generator started up immediately and in a short time it went to 120 volts with no surging.I then applied power to the unit by turning on the a/c and the generator immediately died.Same with the Microwave.

I would like to know if any member knows how to adjust the govenor and if so could you explain the proceedure.

Thank you tinman176
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

I have the Onan service manual so will try to look up the governor info for you. It's in the 190, and its snowing, dark and 24 degrees out. So, it may be a few days, with the holidays coming up. I got the manual when I had Onan problems on my prior B190. Was a little hard to find but is available.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

The Onan service manual is available in .pdf form in the Downloads section on this site (last item on the list). Adjusting the governor is described beginning on page 8-13. And no, sorry, I've never tried it myself. Good luck!
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Planck »

Keystone
Wow! That is great to know about the downloads. Had not checked that section of the site out before. I did go out and retrieve my manual, which is different than the one scanned in, but the governor adjustment section is virtually the same.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks for assisting him Planck and Keystone...

The governor linkage is kinda temperamental... keep it clean and working freely
tinman176
New User
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 11801

Post by tinman176 »

Hello and Thank you PLANK and KEYSTONE and ALASKAN for your responses to my query about the 2.8 KV Generator.

Yes you are right the governor linkage is very temperamental.I used a meter that measures voltage frequency resistance Hz and several other measurements to no avail.All the measurements are set up according to the Cummins repair manual.The generator runs very well when not under load.When under load it immediately dies.

I think I will give this problem a rest for a while and come back to it some other time. Thanks again for your assistance. tinman176