Trouble Starting

2800 MicroLite by Onan
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 0

Trouble Starting

Post by Eamonn McG »

Hey guys, Just got my 92 B190 this past weekend. When I went down to look at it for the first time the owner went through everything in detail, he started the generator and let it run for a few minutes. It started right up the first try and idled beautifully. He said he had a new carb put in and showed me the reciepts so I believe him. However this past saturday when I went to pick it up the generator would not start. It was below freezing so the guy I bought it off of said that was the reason it wouldnt start. He also said that there needed to be at least a quarter or a half tank of gas in order for it to fire up (he couldnt remember which) I tried it again last night because it had warmed up a bit (it was 35 degrees). It sounded like it was getting closer to turning over but still wouldnt fire. After about 4 tries I decided to take a break. I was wondering if anyone knew whether the cold could be the problem...and also if there is a minimum amount of gas needed in the tank to start it. (the only logic I could think of behind this would be some sort of safety precaution to prevent you from falling asleep with the genny on and running out of gas or something like that) If this isnt the case then does anybody have any pointers on something that may get this thing started? Also, when the generator is on, does all power get re-routed to run off of that rather than the coach battery? Does this include the refridgerator if I have it on the "Auto" setting and its not running off the LP? Any advice would help....thanks
Planck
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Trouble Starting

Post by Planck »

I believe you have only one gas tank in your B190 and yes the generator needs a certain amount of gas in the tank in order to run. I believe the only safety reason for this is so that you don't run out of gas while driving. Not sure how much, but I would start the de-bugging by filling the tank. Next, on my generator there is a rod to pull for cold weather operation. I have not really looked at what happens, but assume it allows a richer mixture for cold weather. Find that rod, near the carb and make sure it is in the cold position. There should be a description of this in the owners 3 ring binder manual. If it ran as good as you say, it should be rather a simple fix, unless the previous owner switched generators on you after the demo. The generator, when running will charge the house battery and provide 110 volts for a/c , microwave & outlet recepticals. If fridge is set on 110 it wil run that also. If fridge is set on 12v then the house battery will run the fridge.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Yes, the generator should be pulling fuel from a higher level in the tank so it doesn't run you dry and strand you. I'd double check that that's how Airstream actually hooked it up before relying on that, though. (For earlier vans with two fuel tanks, they hooked it to the regular fuel supply of the front tank, so you could run that tank dry with the generator.)

As for it not starting because it's cold: No, it should start, and there's something wrong. The starter in the generator draws a lot of power from the house battery, so sometimes it can help to start the B190's engine first, but otherwise I don't have any good suggestions.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper

Post by Eamonn McG »

Yeah another question I had was whether you can run the engine as well as the generator at the same time. I dont think the owner would have swapped out the origingal generator tho he was a friend of mine and loved his b190 (he cried when I drove it away) Thanks for everyones input I will fill up the tank when I get home tonight and try all your suggestions.
URStruly
Weekend Camper

Post by URStruly »

The generator has a cold weather setting and a choke. Choke is automatic so you might have to work it by hand at generator while trying to start.
Generator and engine will run at the same time and is occasionally used while traveling. Gas pick up for generator is set at about 1/4 tank (front tank in 2 tank B190). This is to prevent you running all your fuel out with the generator while in the boondocks. When generator stops you have about enough fuel to go about 50 to 75 miles. Cranking the B190 will help start the generator when the battery is getting low.URStruly.
Eamonn McG
Weekend Camper

Post by Eamonn McG »

Just wanted to give an update on the gen set. Finally got it running. It took me about 4 hours but she finally turned over. One of the connectors for the fuel pump was only putting out 5 volts when it needed to be at 10, so we stripped the wire added a new connector and were getting the necesarry levels. Then I realized that i guess from sitting so long the shaft was stuck, I had to break whatever compression was holding it in place and finally the shaft began to spin. She started up and ran for about a minute and cut off. Realized I was below the level of gas needed to operate so i had to put everything back in and bolt it down, drive to the gas station fill up and then go back and start over. It was turning over but still no ignition, syphoned some gas thru the pump because i realized i'd lost the prime ( used my mouth and not a pump becasue i dont have one, mouth full of gas was not fun ) anyway after a bit of tinkering and some carb fluid she started up nicely and hasnt given me any problems since. just got the resonator today so i'm going to install that tonight and am taking her on her first real road trip (mighty high mountain festival in tuxedo new york) this friday. Cant wait!!!!
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Sounds good! Do run that generator a lot to keep it working. The manual recommends 4 hours/month under load, if I remember correctly, and since you had to do so much to get it running, I'd do at least that much with yours.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit