Heaton Bay Campground 2014, Frisco CO

Great places to stay, bad places to stay, offering courtesy parking? Let us know
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Heaton Bay Campground 2014, Frisco CO

Post by Keystone »

Just putting in a plug for my local (<10 miles from home) campground on Dillon Reservoir in Colorado. It's been a few years since the pine beetles ravaged our lodge-poles here in Summit County, and I'm happy to report this campground is making a fine recovery. See my pics from yesterday here in my gallery: http://b190.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=3150. Access to the campground is easy: I-70 exit 203 (Frisco) to the Dillon Dam road (first left), about 1.5 miles to Heaton Bay CG. Most of the sites can be reserved (and are booked...), but a few, including this one (E80) are available on a walk-up basis, which is how I ended up there on a Sunday in peak summer season. No electric in this loop, and no shade yet as the young trees are filling in, but you can fish or drop your SUP or kayak in the water a few short steps from your van. Parking at this site is plenty long enough for a Bvan, but too short for anything towed. There's a slight drone of highway noise throughout the CG, but tolerable given how readily accessible and amazingly scenic it is. Enjoy!
Keystone
B190 4x4