campgrounds

Great places to stay, bad places to stay, offering courtesy parking? Let us know
sweetpea
New User

campgrounds

Post by sweetpea »

I am new to RVing with a 1994 b190. My son and I just went on a 4 day maiden voyage to several Georgia state parks. All was well except this: we want to camp to get away. I know there will be other campers in a campground, but are all of them built so that one site is right next to another--with no barrier in between? Does anyone know of any safe, scenic and relatively private sites for camping in Georgia or maybe in other Southeastern states? It is just my 13 year old son and myself along with an excitable chihuahua. Thanks for any info.
Campfiredan
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Campfiredan »

I just got back from one of my favorite places, Table Rock State park in South Carolina. It is in the Cherokee foothills west of Greenville (21 miles west of Greenville and "only" 90 miles from southeast of Cherokee at the entrance to Great Smokey Mountain National Park). Open all year and at this time of year and in the fall it is *very* quiet and underutilized. Weather was wonderful in spite of it being the "off season," Bliss! About $20 per night and has electrical hookup and water at all sites and a dump station at the exit. When I was there a few Novembers ago there were only two other rigs and me and one as the campground host I think. This recent April trip (came home yesterday) there were about ten rigs. Camp store isn't open in the off-season but there are many local stores within 10 miles in Pickens SC and some small closer ones in the boonies (Aunt Sue's Diner is about 2 miles down the road).

There are a couple other SC State Parks in the same area. I don't know how crowded any of them are during mid-summer but in the off season they should all be as happy an experience as Table Rock. None of the SC state parks have night time check-in without first making a reservation during the day (I had to spend my first night parked outside of the gate - Ranger was not happy with me in the AM). So call and get a reservation before the office closes at 5 or 6).

PS - unless you are very very adventurous, do *not* take they obvious route from Cherokee NC through Waynesville across the mountains to Table Rock "only* 90 miles away by GPS "Quickest Route." Those 90 miles include about forty of the scariest switchback turns you ever want to make in a B190 -- uphill on US 276 (Forest Heritage Scenic Byway) then under the Blue Ridge Parkway, then downhill on 276 to the park - even worse than uphill since your brakes start smoking unless you drive at 15 mph in *first* gear. Take the longer I-40 route to near Greensville and then up the highway from there. From the south, take I-85 to US 11 and follow the Cherokee Scenic Highway - an easy drive and nicer view (since you won't be tied up be clutching the wheel and praying all the way). Never trust a GPS route!
baggydew
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1994
WBCCI: 0

Post by baggydew »

Corps of Engineers campgrounds in the southeast are worth going out of your way for. They are always clean, modern and scenic and usually off the beaten track, as well as being cheaper than most state parks. If you have a Golden age or Golden Access pass (over 65 or disabled) the price is half the going rate. I've not been disappointed and have had some of the best camping at these facilities.