Dike Lake, about 18 miles north of Soda Springs, Idaho

Great places to stay, bad places to stay, offering courtesy parking? Let us know
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 0

Dike Lake, about 18 miles north of Soda Springs, Idaho

Post by craigmar »

Just came back from a week at Dike Lake which is about 18 miles north of Soda Springs, Idaho. This is a nice little campground on the banks of Blackfoot Reservoir and has about 18 campspots considered as improved and 8-10 un-improved. Each campspot on the improved list have a large leveled pad of crushed rock, 1 picnic table, 1 fire pit and electric hookup of your choice (1-50 amp, 1-30 amp and 1-110 volt 20 amp). Throughout the campground are water spigots that have clean, filtered water( I know water isn't supposed to taste but this water is really good and refreshing). There is a dump site for holding tanks on the South end of the campground and a large boat ramp with two floating docks. The un-improved areas have a picnic table, fire pit and field grass which if you didn't want to pay the electrical fee are pretty nice also. The fees are reasonable, $10 a night and $5 for electrical. If you stop at the ranger office in Soda Springs on the same road as the campground and are 62 or older, you can get an "America the Beautiful" card for 1/2 price access and 1/2 price on the electrical. The card by the way is good in the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands and expires upon your death. If you have a disability you are eligible to get a card for free regardless of age with the same benefits. The card also gives the holder 50% off of things like cave tours etc.
The little town of Soda Springs has a couple of nice food stores, hardware stores and most of the other stuff assoiciated with a smaller town. They have an excellent Library which we were able to log on to their internet in order to download a missing decoder program for our laptop to allow us to watch the movies we rented at home for some entertainment.
Our stay was nice and quiet with only the sounds of the ducks and an occasional 4 wheeler that came into the campground from the little village of Dike Lake outside the campground. On a morning walk I, found myself in the same field as an Adult Cow Moose and her Calf which caused me to make a quick backup, there were numerous bird watching opportunities and because of the full moon, really unforgetable images over the mountains and the water.
The only thing that was curious to me is that over the weekdays prior to and during the Labor Day Holiday we were the only ones in the campground besides the campground host and someone in a fifthwheel that I think was living in the campground as he left in the morning and returned at night, when I asked the host about the lack of campers she said that it was typical and she thought it was because the campground is fairlly new (a couple of years old) and was under construction for the past year getting electrical, water drip systems for all the trees etc. During our stay there was a crew putting permenant gazeebo's in at various campsites and all the campsites are slated to have them installed.
I have added a few pictures in the gallery, if you click on my ruby lake album and then go to the second page you will see the dike lake album and just click onto that.
Last edited by craigmar on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks cm for taking the time to post that info....
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

A gazebo at each campsite? That I'd like to see!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
craigmar
Seasoned Traveler

Gazeebo or shade structure

Post by craigmar »

If you go to the gallery and click on Ruby Lake (2nd page of gallery) then go to the 2nd page of those photo's you wil find the Dike Lake photo's and I believe that the 2nd to last picture shows the shade structures I am talking about, maybe gazeebo was the wrong word but thats what the wife called it, at any rate they are putting them on all the improved pads. Maybe next year if we go back I can update the photo's.
skater
Site Admin
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Okay...yeah, just a little shelter. That's a nice idea.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit