Free or Cheap Spots to Camp

Great places to stay, bad places to stay, offering courtesy parking? Let us know
goinmobile
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Free or Cheap Spots to Camp

Post by goinmobile »

HI all. I've been fulltiming 3 years now and have found many very nice free spots to boondock and other spots 17 or less a night. This will be a thread I'll update as I get time.
Florida: Okaloacoochie Slough: 10/ night and no services except portajohns. You can run your genny in designated spots.
If you love wildlife and seclusion this place is amazing. Wildlife is everywhere and DANGEROUS. Alligators everywhere and birds are abundant. I've seen bobcat, hogs, snakes, etc. Do NOT let your dog run loose or in any water as they'll get eaten. I spent months in there on and off and is very little used. It is dead quiet.
Directions:Hywy 29 between Felda and Immokalee. The road off 29 is CR 832. Continue past signs marking various roads into the reserve and on the right you'll see "wild cow road" Follow that in until you see "Panther Pond and the campground is right there. Self serve pay at the post by the pond.

Florida: Big Cypress Reserve: Free: No amenities except portajohns.
These spots are in a nice area and the loop road is great for scenery and wildlife. Just don't drive the unpaved stretch as it is extremely rough.
On hwy 41 (Tamiami). Coming from Miami drive 41 untill you see the Miccosukee Indian reserve. On the far end of the reserve there is a road on your left that you can see buildings and such. I think It's labelled Loop road. Just follow that road until you see the sign for camping on the right. I think the name is Pinecrest. A little farther in is another campground called mitchell landing. Both are free and usually few campers.
DON"T drive past mitchell landing unless you have 4 weel drive or a jeep.
Electraglide
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1991

Post by Electraglide »

Good information to know.

Were you camping on 41 in March of 2010? My wife and I had flown down to Miami and picked up a rental harley to tour with. We were on 41 on the 11th and saw two B190's right around the campgrounds you talked about.
goinmobile
Weekend Camper

Post by goinmobile »

Hi----I was down there last year but had a class C at that time. Fridge caught fire and totaled it, so I bought the 190 with the insurance. Happy with it so far. 41 is a great spot to look around. I liked it better than everglades national park.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999

Post by Alaskan »

Hey...next time you're wintering in Florida. Its a great weekend.

One of our members is frequently a highlight of the shows...click on the Roads.mp3 link in her website below...

http://www.jfitchen.com/

http://www.willmclean.com/index.php

goinmobile
Weekend Camper

Post by goinmobile »

Ontario Near North Bay: Price is free--no amenities.
From North Bay take Trout lake road and it turns into Hwy 63 towards the quebec border. About 40 Kms out of North Bay there is Hwy 533 on the right. The road is rough but paved---take your time.
You will come to Timber lake that meets the Hwy shoulder. A little farther along is a small road loop on the left,. You can pull in there and it's right on the lake. Room for 3 or 4 sites. There is also another clearing a bit farther down the Hwy where you can launch a boat and camp there.
There are lots of gravel pits and side roads to camp at too.
You can stay 21 days and then have to move your camp at least 100 meters away for another 21. All in all a nice spot.

Ontario Near North Bay: Price is free---no amenities. On Hwy 11 coming into North bay from Timmins. About 10 miles before you get to North Bay there is "Tilden Lake Road" on the right. Follow that in until the road turns to dirt and stay left all the way in. It's about 3 miles. There is a big area with a nice creek.

On 11 just past Tilden Lake Road on the left is "Sand Dam Road". Just as you turn onto Sand Dam there is a huge clearing on the right. It's quiet and convenient spot to stay for the night or a few days.
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Re: Free or Cheap Spots to Camp

Post by Tucsonan »

I have been looking at a website (Freecampsites dot net) ...they give some pretty detailed descriptions and instructions on how to get there. I may try a spot or two on a Sedona/Grand Canyon trip I'm itching to go on. Rick
1994 B190, Sahuarita Arizona

"... but it's a dry heat!"
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Thanks Rick...for reviving an older thread
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

I think that many of these "rustic" BLM campsites and Forrest service road campsites are exactly what the B190 was designed for. There are plenty of them listed out here in Arizona. I was looking at one free site located off a farm road actually inside the Grand Canyon National Park just south of the rim. I will definitely check that one out this summer.

Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

17 in Alaska I see.... :mrgreen:

The "Staney Bridge"- Klawock Alaska, is on the island where we're located
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

Alaskan wrote:17 in Alaska I see.... :mrgreen:

The "Staney Bridge"- Klawock Alaska, is on the island where we're located
Incredible! ...Do you have any of your B190's there, or in Washington. I was going to say that I am going to travel to Anchorage in a few months, ...but I see that you're just about as close to Tucson! LOL

I looked up some photos, ...beautiful place! ...Rick

Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Rick....the two remaining B190's are in my shop in Washington...both are available & looking for new owners.. !

I have the new Airstream Interstate in Alaska for this season...
Tucsonan
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Tucsonan »

I just looked up the "Interstate", ...what a beauty. I have a ML350 in the garage for the lady to drive. She doesn't appreciate my love for older vehicles and can't understand how I get so attached to them! BTW, which of your B190's in your photos are looking for new owners? I've been trying to persuade a friend of mine to take the plunge and buy one. Interesting that you're in the crab business, ...I worked my father's shrimpboat out of Galveston for years before I ran off to find my own way. Many times now, I wish I never left the boat. I was also born in Renton. ...small world! have a great weekend, I'll be trying to get the B190's fridge and generator going. ...that and a bunch of Mother's Day Barbecuing ...Rick

Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

1997 with 43k miles....and my ole 1991 that I bough new with 54k miles.....both are mint condition

Well....I'm still crabbing, (but just for the dinner table) right out front for dungeness, every bit as-good-as red crab and I don't have to risk life to do it... :mrgreen: 8/9-inches across the back and packed with great meat...

@ Wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeness_crab

HEY....where is that cooking B190 owner....we have a campsite on our beach reserved for him..!
MichaelC

Post by MichaelC »

11 May 13 10:00

Hello, Enthusiasts!

I'd like to nominate the county campground at Spalding, Michigan, on US Route 2 between Escanaba and Iron Mountain in the "Upper Peninsula". $12 per night with electricity on grass-covered sites, all tree-shaded. No facilities to speak of, but quiet and beautiful, with lots of space between each site.

"Happy Cybercamping!
MichaelC
1997 B190, number 55 - "Baby Newell II"
Alaskan
Site Admin

Post by Alaskan »

Mike...thanks for that.

The problem is, this morning on NPR I heard the Walleye fishing opened there this morning but there
is still too much ice to get at 'em... !