Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Buying it back...

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:Skater are you talking about the outer gasket that goes between the frame and the glass at 45°?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I think so. Did I miss a simple way to do it?
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Wow. I wish I was this handy. My generator starts but peters out. My 12 V plug seems too big for the car adapters I have, so I have no idea how I’ll be able to use 12V appliances without wasting power via the inverter.

At least it seems to work mechanically. I had to have the brake calipers and some hoses replaced, but otherwise it has been sound (other than my polluting the front tank and generator with bad gas from the rear tank). I’m going to take it on some trips nearby (AAA range is 100 or 200 miles), trying to “shake out” anything else that needs replaced. It sat for ages and everything seems to be original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I replaced the gasket in half of a window last weekend. I must be missing something, because I'm really struggling with it. There has to be a trick to it. Silicone spray hasn't helped much.

I also broke one of the valves on the stove. :( I was trying to test it, and it wouldn't turn on, so I pulled the knob off and tried it with a pair of pliers, and the soft metal just broke. Worse, it looks like the part isn't available any more (I think...that stove model isn't well covered in the literature). The stove is usable aside from that burner, so it's not an immediate issue. I think it seized from lack of use, because another one was tight but started working better after I operated it a few times.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Tried to take it for a drive this morning. Did not go well. Made it about 2 miles before it died. I was able to nurse it back home, though it stalled repeatedly.

Seems okay to idle, but loses power under load. Feels like a fuel system issue...but I’ve already replaced the filter, high pressure pump, and the regulator. Switching tanks didn’t help, so maybe both in-tank pumps are bad. I need a fuel pressure gauge.

Reddeer
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993

Post by Reddeer »

Skater, you are blessed with perseverance. Keep it going man, we are all behind you.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Reddeer wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:52 am
Skater, you are blessed with perseverance. Keep it going man, we are all behind you.
Thanks. Gotta admit I'm kind of sick of this running issue. If I can get it running reliably, everything else will come. Unfortunately the fuel pressure gauge I bought has too short of a hose, so I can't see it from the driver's seat. :x I'll borrow the one from Autozone again and just devote a day to debugging. But, aside from actually trying to drive it with the fuel pressure gauge attached, I've done the 'static' tests I can do in the driveway and it passes.

Based on my research, the issue I'm having could be caused by a fuel problem or an ignition problem, and then within each of those categories is four or six things it could be - and it could even be some surprising things like the coolant temperature sensor. I've already hit a few of them in each category, but there are several more. Basically what I need to do is get the fuel pressure gauge, tape it to the windshield, drive it (I'll stick to my neighborhood this time) until it stalls, and see what the fuel pressure is. If the pressure is good, then the problem is ignition. If it's low, then the problem is fuel.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Engine update, looking for any suggestions!

1991 460 EFI

Brief backstory: We sold this van in 2011 and bought it back in 2017. In that time, it only accumulated ~2,000 miles, and most of those were in the first few months after we sold it. So, it sat for years with bad fuel. I've added fresher fuel a few times, along with fuel system cleaner. But in the last year or so it has been running worse than it was when we brought it home.

I finally got the fuel pressure gauge hooked to it and ran it until it died. At idle, even when warm, it maintained ~35 psi (range is 30-45 psi, I think). Although it did not stall when idling, when stepping on the gas, there is a hesitation before it revs up. When revving up, the gauge trended closer to 40 psi, but always stayed in the 'normal' range.

Then I drove it through the neighborhood, and it died. I checked the gauge and found it at 5 psi. This implies a fuel system issue, right?

Things that have been replaced already: High pressure pump and the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel filter.

Other things that have been replaced recently, for completeness: Alternator. Coil. Cap. Rotor.

Suggestions in the thread that I haven't done yet: Check the voltage at the pumps.

Previously a few people suggested the in-tank pump(s) might be bad, and the diverter won't divert unless it sees pressure at the tank you're switching to. So it could even be a combination of things.

Aside from checking the voltages, is there anything else I should do to eliminate causes? I hate to just start throwing parts at it. Thanks!

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

I know nothing about cars, but...since I also had the bad fuel issue, stalling, and our vans are a year apart, it may be the same issue as I had. My mechanic drained the rear tank (front tank fuel was fresh) and replaced both fuel pumps.

Until my last trip, I hadn’t had a problem. It acted the same when the fuel got low in the rear tank, like it might stall. It did the same for a bit after I filled, but then was fine until I got home (about 60 miles).

The bad fuel also affected my generator, so you’ll want to avoid that. It was working when I viewed the van, so it’s a shame I broke it with the bad fuel and now have another repair.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Sub2RainEN wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:01 am
I know nothing about cars, but...since I also had the bad fuel issue, stalling, and our vans are a year apart, it may be the same issue as I had. My mechanic drained the rear tank (front tank fuel was fresh) and replaced both fuel pumps.

Until my last trip, I hadn’t had a problem. It acted the same when the fuel got low in the rear tank, like it might stall. It did the same for a bit after I filled, but then was fine until I got home (about 60 miles).

The bad fuel also affected my generator, so you’ll want to avoid that. It was working when I viewed the van, so it’s a shame I broke it with the bad fuel and now have another repair.
Yeah, that's basically where I am with it. I'm going to get new pumps, fuel gauge sending units, and the fuel tank diverter. Just do it all! Thanks.

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Fixed mine right up. Good luck!

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Still not running, but it got a bath today! ImageImage

micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

Very nice!
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Got inspiration to work on the awning this afternoon. It didn't want to close correctly and was being balky about opening. Once I finally got it to open, it worked fine. It rolled up fine after I removed this tool that had been rolled in the fabric, which probably explains why it was not rolled correctly in the first place.

It has several holes, some of which were present when I sold it, and a new one (probably from the tool).

Unfortunately the awning isn't really usable, because the screw that tightens one leg is stripped out (note clamp holding that leg). (Picture of awning is before I tightened the fabric, it got taught when I rolled it in a bit.) This also makes me nervous driving it, because there isn't much holding that leg in place without the thumbscrew.

I was surprised how well it worked, all things considered - I may fix the leg issue somehow so it's usable until we replace it. It also looks easy to remove - 8 screws underneath, remove one end, and I think it'll slide out. Decisions... ImageImage

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

If you're on the Facebook group, you might have seen this update already, but I drained the front fuel tank over the weekend. Woohoo! Now I'm ready to drop that tank and replace it, the pump and sender, and the diverter. I ordered some of the parts last night, but I want to confirm the front tank size before ordering that.

My plan is to get the van running off the front tank, then somehow drain the rear tank - I may attempt to attach a fuel filter to the line from the rear tank, and then connect it to the return line on the front tank. (I know I'll have to account for 22-15=7 gallons yet, so maybe the first 10 gallons will go into cans.)

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Got the fuel diverter installed this morning! I started to remove the front tank, but I ran out of time. I had to disconnect the propane lines and move a ground wire that was connected to them. There’s a shield (I think to protect the fuel tank in case the drive shaft decides to explode) I have to remove, then I should be able to lower the tank.

The new tank has an extra hole in the top, maybe an inch across. I’m hoping it’s clear what should happen with that when I get the old tank out. Might just be a rubber cover.

I’m going to order new straps for the tank. Why risk it?