Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Buying it back...

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:
On my hood, the little white plastic thing that holds the left side of the" hood holder upper bar" is broken and the bar slips out sometimes and the hood comes crashing down, not on me yet, is that piece still available ?
Yes. Auto parts store, look in the Dorman/Help section. I got a pack for at most $10 of assorted pieces. They are different colors than mine was, but otherwise match exactly. (Actually I had to ream the hole out a tiny bit to get the rod in, I just used a drill bit to do it by hand.)

Mine had a cotter pin in the end of the prop holding it in place, so the hardest part was getting that out before I could remove the prop to replace the plastic piece. A mirror helped me understand what I was dealing with. Sounds like yours doesn’t have a cotter pin.

Edit: Pretty sure this is the set - it’s the two pieces on the right in the picture.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by Choptop »

Thanks Skater , Amazon wanted 8.50 shipping for a 6.00 item! Will check out the auto stores.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:Thanks Skater , Amazon wanted 8.50 shipping for a 6.00 item! Will check out the auto stores.
$5.39 at Autozone, but others should have them too.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Got it ordered for $6. and some change, will save me some pain, someday. Thanks
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

Still no luck getting the brake drum off. I either need a fairly expensive puller, or to take it to a shop.

I think the squealing noise is the alternator. It’s either that or the air pump.

Took it on a cruise. It’s pinging and stumbling under load. Then, after I got home, I let it idle, and it stalled, and I couldn’t get it to restart. I assume this is due to the bad/old fuel. We’re going to have to replace the engine battery - it’s pretty weak.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Got the plastic piece for the hood support, mine had no cotter pin, pressure fit supper easy fix and feels SO good to not live w/the possibility of the hood thunking me in the head. It really is the little things that give us pleasure. :D
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Wow! I step away from the forum for a few weeks, and I miss out on the news! Yay, Skater. So happy to hear you’re back in the fold of the B190 owners. Best wishes on the upgrades you are planning, and have fun on your upcoming outings. Thanks for keeping this awesome forum going.

Still loving our van after all these 8 years, despite the constant need for care and feeding...

Keystone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Keystone, noticed you are in Summit County Co., a forum that I belong to, F6B Riders, are having our 2018 Rally meet in Montrose Co, next year. Never been to Colorado, here it is nice.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Choptop wrote:Keystone, noticed you are in Summit County Co., a forum that I belong to, F6B Riders, are having our 2018 Rally meet in Montrose Co, next year. Never been to Colorado, here it is nice.
Choptop,
You should plan to come out for your rally. There’s a lot to see and do.
FYI, mine is not the only B190 in Summit County. I see them around here all the time. You’d feel right at home!

Keystone
B190 4x4
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Buying it back...

Post by Choptop »

Keystone wrote:
Choptop wrote:Keystone, noticed you are in Summit County Co., a forum that I belong to, F6B Riders, are having our 2018 Rally meet in Montrose Co, next year. Never been to Colorado, here it is nice.
Choptop,
You should plan to come out for your rally. There’s a lot to see and do.
FYI, mine is not the only B190 in Summit County. I see them around here all the time. You’d feel right at home!

I am thinking about it, the F6b is a sport Honda Goldwing, I road 1,100 miles last year to Arkansas for it, Colorado is a bit farther, I may trailer w/the B190.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I have off work this week, so I’ve been doing some things here and there. First, I drove the B190 to get groceries the other day. It’s starting better and not stalling, but it still pings and surges under load. I’m hoping once I get through the current gas in it, it’ll run better.

Today I winterized it, but first I ran water into the tank to check the line to the pump for leaks. I found a leak in one of the lines going to the kitchen sink (at the elbow of course) - I didn’t spot it when I was using air pressure to test it earlier, but it was obvious with water. Also, the back of the water heater is wet, but I think that is due to rainwater getting in around the heater, not a leak in the tank or plumbing.

Also, the Fantastic Fan is leaking. And I still suspect the slide windows are leaking. I gotta work on ordering that replacement gasket.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

[quote="skater"]I have off work this week, so I’ve been doing some things here and there. First, I drove the B190 to get groceries the other day. It’s starting better and not stalling, but it still pings and surges under load. I’m hoping once I get through the current gas in it, it’ll run better.

Today I winterized it, but first I ran water into the tank to check the line to the pump for leaks. I found a leak in one of the lines going to the kitchen sink (at the elbow of course) - I didn’t spot it when I was using air pressure to test it earlier, but it was obvious with water. Also, the back of the water heater is wet, but I think that is due to rainwater getting in around the heater, not a leak in the tank or plumbing.

Also, the Fantastic Fan is leaking. And I still suspect the slide windows are leaking. I gotta work on ordering that replacement gasket.[/quote

Skater, the window gasket thing is on my list for the spring, she will be under cover all winter, when you get your window/gasket material list together ,please let me know, I would like to order also.
ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by ZachS »

Mee too. I read an old Post about it, but a fresh track on this would be great

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Post by mountaindent »

skater wrote:Well, it definitely needs a deep cycle battery. Before I went to look at it, I assumed that would be the case, but when we saw it, I saw the battery had been replaced, so I was hopeful. This morning I was smelling sulfur but didn't quite put together what that meant, until I opened the hood to put a charger on the engine battery. Then I saw the steam coming off the deep cycle battery. It's reading around 10 volts. And it was hot. Good thing I caught it when I did, because that was heading for a major mess!

More trouble getting it started and keeping it running this morning, too.

Edit: 154 degrees F on the top of the battery...and this was after cooling down for 10-15 minutes on a cool morning!
Since you are talking about batteries...
I have a question about the starter battery vs. the deep cycle battery which is the coach battery I assume. When I bought the B190 and took it in for an evaluation...it was noted the previous owner had the batteries reversed for some unknown reason. So, with some effort they put the starter battery where is is suppose to be and then put the coach battery back where it was suppose to be. Would the only reason be a space issue and when replacing a battery they went for the easy installation? Path of least resistance? Not sure why anyone would do that or make that kind of mistake.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:
skater wrote:Well, it definitely needs a deep cycle battery. Before I went to look at it, I assumed that would be the case, but when we saw it, I saw the battery had been replaced, so I was hopeful. This morning I was smelling sulfur but didn't quite put together what that meant, until I opened the hood to put a charger on the engine battery. Then I saw the steam coming off the deep cycle battery. It's reading around 10 volts. And it was hot. Good thing I caught it when I did, because that was heading for a major mess!

More trouble getting it started and keeping it running this morning, too.

Edit: 154 degrees F on the top of the battery...and this was after cooling down for 10-15 minutes on a cool morning!
Since you are talking about batteries...
I have a question about the starter battery vs. the deep cycle battery which is the coach battery I assume. When I bought the B190 and took it in for an evaluation...it was noted the previous owner had the batteries reversed for some unknown reason. So, with some effort they put the starter battery where is is suppose to be and then put the coach battery back where it was suppose to be. Would the only reason be a space issue and when replacing a battery they went for the easy installation? Path of least resistance? Not sure why anyone would do that or make that kind of mistake.
In my ‘91 the deep cycle battery is on the driver’s side, but in later models, it is swapped.

Other than that, I’m not sure why they’d be reversed, other than confusion.