Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Re: Buying it back...

Post by Choptop »

And I did order 2 pkgs of those curtain things. :D
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Choptop wrote:
skater wrote:I’m planning to replace the visible rubber gasket, not reseal the frame (that was done when I owned it previously).

There’s a thread somewhere that lists exactly what is needed to replace the gaskets.
I will have to look for that thread, I know that Airstream sells (2) seals for the front fixed unit, takes 15' of each but was not aware that their was one for the sliders, till I went out and looked, just thought, because of the procedure on the members blog that you just pulled the whole thing out and resealed, now I see the rubber piece you are talking about.Image I take it that it is the piece just under the Good Sam sticker ?
Yep, that’s it. Here’s the thread about it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Thank you sir !!
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Image Image , both these pieces are listed on the Airstream parts site as needed for the B190 front fixed window, one is the gasket, 1 is the insert, sound about right.
micabarry
Seasoned Traveler

Post by micabarry »

This is what I found when I popped out the side window.
window rust 2 (640x480).jpg
window rust 2 (640x480).jpg (187.64 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
The plastic bag was to keep debris from sanding the rust out of the van. I put 2 coats of POR on before reinstalling and I used 3/4" butyl tape which came out fine. I just followed the directions in other threads on this site, including using all new rubber. I also had leaks above and had to repair under the top bed(and remove standing water). Sliders were the culprits but I wasn't sure about the front fixed glass and wanted to get up close and personal to inspect it. I built a frame to stand on that slides into two step ladders. Window was not leaking even though it is cracked, and while I was up there I decided to give the area a good polish.
polish stand.jpg
polish stand.jpg (237.19 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
And I still haven't figured out how to make my pics stand up right.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

Nice job micabarry !! All the pics and info will help people like me when that time comes.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

With the cold weather, I haven’t had much time to work on the B190, but every few weeks I’ve been starting it and just letting it run for a while. Today I did that and decided to move it to another part of the driveway. I got it about 5’, and it died and wouldn’t restart. D’oh.

I left it on the charger and plugged it in so the coach battery would charge, and after an hour or so it fired up, so I moved it back to where it was, lest it die in a spot that blocks the driveway!

My theory is that the engine battery is so bad that it’s killing the electrical system, and causing it to stall.

I got the generator running but it wouldn’t stabilize and stalled several times. :(

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

Skater im thinking it should run on just the alternator especially if you've just started it. Old school battery check disconnect the battery when running if it stays running its the battery if it dies its the alternator. Hows the fuel?

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:Skater im thinking it should run on just the alternator especially if you've just started it. Old school battery check disconnect the battery when running if it stays running its the battery if it dies its the alternator. Hows the fuel?
The fuel is still the bad fuel. I put in a can of Seafoam in each tank, but that can only do so much - I really need to get the bad fuel out. It was idling fine and revved up fine, but as soon as I put it in gear it start running badly. I had the generator running, but it wouldn't stabilize - surging, nearly stalling, surging, etc. Again, another sign of the bad fuel.

But, if there's a bad cell, and it's pulling the voltage down, who knows what can happen. It needs a battery, so I might as well fix that problem and see if it helps. The only reason it starts at all is because of the deep cycle battery.

The other thing I'm going to do is to throw in more fresh gas, trying to dilute the bad gasoline as much as possible.

(I could just, you know, DRAIN THE TANKS, but that's a messy job, at best.)

ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by ZachS »

Based in my experience of high single digit fuel economy, it shouldn't take long to empty those tanks... As long as you can keep her running

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
skater
Site Admin

Buying it back...

Post by skater »

ZachS wrote:Based in my experience of high single digit fuel economy, it shouldn't take long to empty those tanks... As long as you can keep her runningImage

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Yeah, although I’ve mostly been idling the gallons away.

I was joking with my wife that I didn’t want both of us to go for a drive in it, because I might need her to rescue me. Half-joking.

Okay, maybe I was 75% serious.

(Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if the alternator wasn’t working 100% either.)

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Hopefully its just the fuel and not moisture in the tank and draining is a pain then what to do with the old gas. Good luck keep tinkering you'll get her going again. Im still trying to balance between my three lists. What needs to be done, what I want to do, and the honey do, lol.
No comment on the one that wins.

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

190-b-651 wrote:Hopefully its just the fuel and not moisture in the tank and draining is a pain then what to do with the old gas. Good luck keep tinkering you'll get her going again. Im still trying to balance between my three lists. What needs to be done, what I want to do, and the honey do, lol.
No comment on the one that wins.
:) I have a list with three priorities. The #1s are things that pretty much have to be done for it to be a reliable vehicle and a usable camper. These include things like replacing the batteries and curtains and redoing the plumbing since I found a leak.

#2 are things that really ought to be done, like fixing leaks and replacing/repairing the bathroom fan.

#3 are things that are upgrades, like installing USB or 12 volt outlets and LED lighting.

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

The list's dont seem to get any shorter except the reliability im pretty confident at this point. ( fingers crossed) with mine mechanically except for the furnace blower squealing a bit thats on the list for this week.
If I can get through the summer without depleting my play $ its in for paint next winter. The new generator set that back but im glad I did go with the new one. And I want to upgrade the jacknife bed like Chris did into a goucho bed I like that idea. Im still looking for the replacement release handles for the flexsteel captain chairs with no luck. And the list goes on from there.

Sub2RainEN
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Sub2RainEN »

Mine died on the fwy in Dec. Won't be able to fix it for a few weeks. Needs a fuel pump (or two?) and we'll see from there.

Do you have a battery charger, too Skater? We've used it to try to charge both batteries and it did start today.

skater wrote:With the cold weather, I haven’t had much time to work on the B190, but every few weeks I’ve been starting it and just letting it run for a while. Today I did that and decided to move it to another part of the driveway. I got it about 5’, and it died and wouldn’t restart. D’oh.

I left it on the charger and plugged it in so the coach battery would charge, and after an hour or so it fired up, so I moved it back to where it was, lest it die in a spot that blocks the driveway!

My theory is that the engine battery is so bad that it’s killing the electrical system, and causing it to stall.

I got the generator running but it wouldn’t stabilize and stalled several times. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud 1990 B190 newbie owner