Buying it back...

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1992
WBCCI: 19000

Re: Buying it back...

Post by mountaindent »

Well, that explains why it may have been that way. However, things do work better with deep cell on passenger side and the starter battery on the driver side on this 1992. Skater and Choptop are a wealth of knowledge and a lot of my head scratching about this and that gets answered quicker than I would imagine.
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1990
WBCCI: 0

Post by Choptop »

mountaindent wrote:Well, that explains why it may have been that way. However, things do work better with deep cell on passenger side and the starter battery on the driver side on this 1992. Skater and Choptop are a wealth of knowledge and a lot of my head scratching about this and that gets answered quicker than I would imagine.
Whoa their Mountaindent ! Others may be a wealth of knowledge, I'm just a numbnuts :lol: learning a lot about the B from this forum :!: :D
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

mountaindent wrote:Well, that explains why it may have been that way. However, things do work better with deep cell on passenger side and the starter battery on the driver side on this 1992.
Well, it depends how it’s wired. Easiest way to check is to disconnect one battery and see stops working - if the engine won’t start, that’s the engine battery.

Ideally you want a deep cycle battery as the coach battery as they can handle deep discharges better.
Skater and Choptop are a wealth of knowledge and a lot of my head scratching about this and that gets answered quicker than I would imagine.
Thanks! With working on mine again, I’ve already learned a few new things that I didn’t know after 6 years of ownership!
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

My wife picked up new curtain fabric today! Extreme close up:

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

Looks like it would provide better insulation benefits.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Fabric looks great, Skater. Have you two found a supplier for the automotive grade webbing/elastic that loops through the plastic sliders on the curtains? My curtains were re-done maybe 9 years ago by the P.O. and the webbing is giving out. Thinking it was not the UV-stabilized stuff...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keystone
B190 4x4
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 0

Post by 190-b-651 »

I've ordered these in the past working on mine right now.Image

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using Tapatalk
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

That look like the genuine article. Thanks for the info!
190-b-651 wrote:I've ordered these in the past working on mine right now.Image

Keystone
B190 4x4
190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

Keystone wrote:That look like the genuine article. Thanks for the info!

They have several sources on ebay I didn't try Amazon.
Hope it helps.
We took ours down and washed and repaired today among other things trying to get ready for thanksgiving at a local lake. Planning on making new as soon as we agree on a material. We are both excited first time ever we've not done the traditional family turkey thing. We haven't used the 190 sence April shes feeling a little neglected.

190-b-651
Seasoned Traveler

Post by 190-b-651 »

190-b-651 wrote:
Keystone wrote:That look like the genuine article. Thanks for the info!

They have several sources on ebay I didn't try Amazon.
Hope it helps.
We took ours down and washed and repaired today among other things trying to get ready for thanksgiving at a local lake. Planning on making new as soon as we agree on a material. We are both excited first time ever we've not done the traditional family turkey thing. We haven't used the 190 sence April shes feeling a little neglected.
Not to mention its one of the top 10 trout lakes in California.
And temps are low 70's I'll take that...lol

skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

There's automotive grade elastic? We just bought some at the fabric store, same as what we did when we replaced the curtains in the trailer.

mountaindent
Seasoned Traveler

Post by mountaindent »

skater wrote:I have off work this week, so I’ve been doing some things here and there. First, I drove the B190 to get groceries the other day. It’s starting better and not stalling, but it still pings and surges under load. I’m hoping once I get through the current gas in it, it’ll run better.

Today I winterized it, but first I ran water into the tank to check the line to the pump for leaks. I found a leak in one of the lines going to the kitchen sink (at the elbow of course) - I didn’t spot it when I was using air pressure to test it earlier, but it was obvious with water. Also, the back of the water heater is wet, but I think that is due to rainwater getting in around the heater, not a leak in the tank or plumbing.

Also, the Fantastic Fan is leaking. And I still suspect the slide windows are leaking. I gotta work on ordering that replacement gasket.
It was a bit of luck when I had left the B190 without a cover. After buying the camper, a significant rain occurred while it was at the RV repair center getting the shower plumbing leak repaired. I did not know what I would find since it was a downpour the day before...opened the door to cabin area and saw there was water on the corner of the couch where the Fantastic Fan corner had been leaking. I had not had time to stow everything away and had left a huge roll of paper towels by accident between the couch and driver's captain chair that had absorbed the majority of the water leak(it was soaked!). How often do we get that lucky in life? Needless to say that day the sealing was done around the Fantastic Fan which eliminated the leak but, could have been much worse. It was the best scenario of the discovery of a problem with a simple solution.

You mentioned that you believe the sliding windows are leaking and I have evidence that mine is slightly leaking....do you mean replacing the entire gasket around the window after popping it out?
Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

From a video that I saw, it was a slightly newer B than my '90, they just pulled the window out, of course after removing the screws from the inside and breaking the seal between the outside frame and the B, then they scraped all the excess sealant from the backside of the frame, cleaned the sealant off the B and then put a BIG bead of sealant on the frame, put the window in, secured it with the inside screws and the cleaned up the excess sealant on the outside. Their was no gasket, per say, just the sealant bead. Now on the front stationary, I di believe you have to buy (2) different rubber "gaskets" to reseal it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ed and Melissa Moseley, members on this forum, have a travel blog and had a write up w/pictures on it concerning removal and resealing of side windows, very helpful to me.
skater
Site Admin

Post by skater »

I’m planning to replace the visible rubber gasket, not reseal the frame (that was done when I owned it previously).

There’s a thread somewhere that lists exactly what is needed to replace the gaskets.

Choptop
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Choptop »

skater wrote:I’m planning to replace the visible rubber gasket, not reseal the frame (that was done when I owned it previously).

There’s a thread somewhere that lists exactly what is needed to replace the gaskets.
I will have to look for that thread, I know that Airstream sells (2) seals for the front fixed unit, takes 15' of each but was not aware that their was one for the sliders, till I went out and looked, just thought, because of the procedure on the members blog that you just pulled the whole thing out and resealed, now I see the rubber piece you are talking about.Image I take it that it is the piece just under the Good Sam sticker ?