1995 B190 Full restoration

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
GJCamper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 5019

Re: New B190 owner here

Post by GJCamper »

Pretty big project Kajun. Do you think you will be able to camp in it this year?

Judith
WBCCI 5019
1996 Airstream B190 purchased August 2017
Kajun
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 0
WBCCI: 0

Post by Kajun »

My goal is September...but sept-nov would be great lol
Kajun
Weekend Camper

Post by Kajun »

Update on the B...got the rotten wood in roof fixed and insulation in ..ended up using liquid nails and tar tape to seal the wood in instead of refiberglassing them in...figure if water is getting to them I got problems on top...used polypropylene blue board 1/2” insulation...got bunk platform wood in...striped and painted propane tank...stepsides sanded and bondo’d...started removing pin stripes ..using heat gun and goof off adhesive remover gel(works great!!)...must let it sit 15-20 mins then it comes right off! New air conditioner will be here this week and I will order either fantastic or maxxair fan....window rebuild parts and glazing ordered....window holes prepped for installation .....coming along slowly but surely!

Edit: I tried fiberglassing the new wood back in on roof but it was damn near impossible to work with so I gave up and used the liquid nails..I spent too much time and $ trying to use fiberglass...a couple of tubes of liquid nails I was done in 30 mins and moving on! Do not recommend anyone trying to do fiberglass repairs upside down!

Skater is this the proper section for a continuous update on a remodel ? If not could you please move it to the appropriate one..thanks...don’t want to keep top posting and moving down new introductions..

Last edited by Kajun on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1998

Post by tdashmike »

Looking good man. I've been working on the generator all weekend.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Kajun wrote: Skater is this the proper section for a continuous update on a remodel ? If not could you please move it to the appropriate one..thanks...don’t want to keep top posting and moving down new introductions..
Probably not, but keep going in this thread. I had the same problem when I started my remodel thread - I wasn't sure where to put it! I think I went with General Chat, but that doesn't make a lot of sense either. I'll create a remodeling/restoration forum where we can keep threads like this, and move this and mine (and any others) into that forum.
New propane tank? Very much interested in what's going on here. Same size? Larger? (Maybe you posted it and I missed it.)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kajun
Weekend Camper

Post by Kajun »

Cool like the new forum! we won’t feel like we drowning people out here with updates lol ....as for the tank it’s the same one that came with van...I took it off and stripped all paint off and painted it....9.9 gals....today I finished with the de-striping!! Looks so much better without those cracked and faded pin stripes...gonna blackout everything possible so going with the silver/black exterior scheme......

Kajun
Weekend Camper

Re: 1995 B190 Full restoration

Post by Kajun »

Did some roof work the past few days in preparation for new air con and fan install....also did some fiberglass repair on holes that were in the roof where cables or other accessories had been installed...then I re-bleached and cleaned it and then painted it with this new roofing paint called Gacoroof which was at my local hardware store....it’s 100% silicone paint and is awesome...love the way it feels and looks..slick and rubbery ...the old cool seal was rough ..it’s alil expensive but supposedly it last “forever” lol....it was $75 a gal :( 1 gal did 2 coats...

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler

Post by tdashmike »

Looking good.

One problem I'm seeing with my AC unit is that the fiberglass around it has sagged over time so when it rains there is a pool of water around the AC unit.
GJCamper
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1996
WBCCI: 5019

Post by GJCamper »

Wow, you're making real progress. Looking good!

Judith
WBCCI 5019
1996 Airstream B190 purchased August 2017
Kajun
Weekend Camper

Post by Kajun »

Tdashmike....yes there is sagging around both holes but I don’t see a way to fix it now with all wood in place...hopefully the new silicone roof prevents any seepage ..

Thanks Judith! Alil at a time!
tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler

Post by tdashmike »

Kajun wrote:Tdashmike....yes there is sagging around both holes but I don’t see a way to fix it now with all wood in place...hopefully the new silicone roof prevents any seepage ..

Thanks Judith! Alil at a time!

Kajun, do you have any ideas on where my leak could be coming from? I thought it was because the AC seal was broken but it looks like the water is coming out right above the vinyl interior foam. The fiberglass looks dry to me and the seal looks good. The only thing I can think of is if the fiberglass is cracked somewhere else....

From top to bottom:
Fiberglass
Wood frame
Plywood Sheet
Foam
Vinyl
IMG_3027.jpg
IMG_3027.jpg (142.99 KiB) Viewed 13221 times
ZachS
Weekend Camper
B190 Year: 1992

Post by ZachS »

Hey kajun. Nice work! Did you mask off the top of the roof or did you paint the entire top - sides and all?

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
Kajun
Weekend Camper

Post by Kajun »

Tdashmike...the wood forward of my A/C was rotten from a leak in the pre-wiring for solar...they had a cover on it but it got into those holes and leaked right in....here’s pics of it...if you have that pre-wiring that might be where it came from..

Zach....yes I masked off about 2” down from roof all the way around

tdashmike
Seasoned Traveler

Post by tdashmike »

Kajun wrote:Tdashmike...the wood forward of my A/C was rotten from a leak in the pre-wiring for solar...they had a cover on it but it got into those holes and leaked right in....here’s pics of it...if you have that pre-wiring that might be where it came from..
Thanks Kajun! The leaking side on mine is actually the drivers side so I think it may be from the roof refrigerator vent. It looks like you have an older model B190 without the roof vent, you might want to look into it if you plan on putting a fridge in. Perhaps a fan system on the side of the van if you don't want one on the roof. I'll take a picture of my roof and post it here later. I plan on re-sealing all the roof top items so hopefully that will fix it. Mine does have the solar pre-wiring so that will be re-sealed also.Thanks again for the tip.

By the way, what are you using to patch the roof? It looks like fiberglass cloth with lots of epoxy?
Kajun
Weekend Camper

Post by Kajun »

Ah ok yea a resealing will definitely help and hopefully fix ya prob.....I used Walmart fiberglass and fiberglass resin for my repairs.. my fridge has a vent on the side of the van..it’s above the fridge access panel