I thought I'd document my B190 roof swap project. I started on the airforums but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of B190 traffic there.
My wife and I have a 1994 E350 cargo van with a 7.3 diesel we've been camping in for probably 7 years or so. Its an old fire department van with only 40K miles on it. very nice shape. Now that we have a 1 year old, the low roof cargo van was quickly too small for the 3 of us.
I bought a 93 B190 that had been badly rear-ended from a nice guy named Andy in Mississippi who deals Airstreams & parts and trailered it home to Upstate NY. (he actually may have had it for sale on here.) I'm working on completely gutting the top, repairing some water damage & removing the top to place on our '94 diesel van. Even with a lot of google searching I couldn't find anywhere where someone had actually removed a B190 top before and placed it on another van, so hopefully documenting this will help someone.
- 20200302_105446 (1).jpg (3.78 MiB) Viewed 325 times
- 20190817_164415.jpg (2.09 MiB) Viewed 325 times
Typical rot around the front ceiling fan. Cutting the old wooden supports out and gluing in new. Glad I had searched this forum, I saw the 1995 resto thread from Kajun where he cut the supports out so it gave me the gumption to do it myself. I plan on gluing supports back in the same way and then going over them with some bondo-hair. The other roof penetrations surprisingly don't look like they leaked much.
My biggest reservation about doing this project was how hard it was going to be to break the seal of the fiberglass top to the metal roof. I had no idea if Airstream used some crazy hard tough stuff I was going to have to chisel away inch by in or not. Turns out its just screws and butyl tape! I haven't totally unscrewed it yet but just the few feet I did have separated completely on their own. Should be fairly easy to lift of once all the screws are out.
- 20200511_203902.jpg (395.92 KiB) Viewed 323 times
- 20200511_194526.jpg (389.07 KiB) Viewed 323 times
- 20200509_143245 (2).jpg (891.54 KiB) Viewed 323 times
I really just wanted the top anyway, so I'll be making a custom interior for it. The van its going on is already outfitted for camping so it shouldn't be too tall of a task to finish the inside of the top.
Since I last posted I finished repairing all of the water damaged wood supports that were fiber-glassed in. Just cut them out with an angle grinder and used liquid nails to fit up new pieces. its imported to make the wood pieces bend to the roof, and not the other way around so that the roof maintains its arc to shed water. not pictured, but I had bracing in to maintain the curvature while the glue dried. After the liquid nails dried (which seemed like 3 days to fully cure) I went over the new wood supports with Bondo-Hair. It dried fast, is crazy strong and wasn't bad to work with. overall i'm very satisfied with the repair. While waiting for the weekend to arrive when I would have some extra hands to move the top, I spent the weeknights cleaning up some very minor drip rail rust on the new van. If i didn't do it now I never would be able to get to it in the future. I ground out all of the drip rail caulk from the new van and applied POR-15, then re-applied seam sealer. a PITA project but I think its worth it in the long run.
After the B190 top was unscrewed there was nothing holding it down. The butyl tape separated effortlessly. we started at the back, just picking the top up high enough to get a long 2x6 underneath then worked our way towards the front. the reverse flange on the fiberglass top is extremely strong. I had no qualms about resting the top on the boards. I took note of where the old van roof was cut and marked out on the new van roof and went at it with pneumatic shears... which ruled. We had the roof skin off in minutes. we left the roof bows in for added support while pulling the top over. not sure if it helped at all but certainly didn't hurt. the bows are just bolted in so they were easy to remove after.
We worked slowly inching the top over, and sliding the boards so that they reached from edge to edge of both vans. Got a couple guys in each van pushing/pulling and it didn't take long. At this point we just eyeballed it center. the fiberglass top has a recess for the drip rail so when we pulled the blocks out it basically self centered. (within and inch or so) I cleaned the roof up with prep-all and reinstalled new butyl tape. re-used the old screws but with some big fender washers to help distribute the load and that was basically the day. unlike every project I've ever done, it actually went exactly like I imagined it would!
Sunday I filled both holes with MaxxFans to keep the rain out. A lot of work left to do, going to re gasket all the Hehr windows next, but at least its on.
the front one is new. really like these fans. This is the first time I've used Dicor self-leveling sealant. That stuff is legit. flows nice and seems like it will hold up well. you can see I also removed the roof rack and plugged the solar wiring hole. I just used marine grade white epoxy for that.