Decorative cloth panels for fiberglass cap

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Decorative cloth panels for fiberglass cap

Post by kstills »

Has anyone replaced these? I'm talking about the ~18" panels that are covered with that white cloth that line the inside of the fiberglass shell. I'm looking for ideas on the best method to replace mine, as a lot of them are pretty gamey at this point.
Rugster
Weekend Camper

Re: Decorative cloth panels for fiberglass cap

Post by Rugster »

No ideas here for replacing them, I'm afraid, as mine are in good shape. However, if the off-white material on your panels are fuzzy, it's called ozite. The panels on which it is mounted are luan, which I believe is 1/8" thickness.
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Ozite is the official name but most Airstreamers call it "mouse fur". :)

I'm planning to replace ours with aluminum sheets. But most of our mouse fur is in rough shape.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Post by kstills »

I'm thinking of going with a more vertical panel. The DS wall, we think, will be a cream colored soft touch vinyl. I'm thinking of using a soft touch vinyl in a leather color for the upper panels. I'm hoping by going vertical I can install roller blinds in the windows, as well as getting a nice contrast with the window wall.

I'm positive I'm going vertical in the bathroom area, I just have to work up the nerve to pull the cabinets to replace the panels around the rest of the van. Since I've cut the ceiling out of the back, I think I'm committed to a major remodel, lol.