Fiberglass cap

Restoring a B190? Start a thread here so we can follow your progress!
kstills
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1996

Re: Fiberglass cap

Post by kstills »

skater wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:46 pm
kstills wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:17 pm
Ah. No, I want to screw the luan to those ribs. Or add some nailers to them and screw the luan to that.
Yep, either one of those would work!
I need to drop the ceiling about an inch to get some insulation in there that will actually work. That gives me 73" of headroom, not much for me but plenty for the average person.

I'm going to epoxy glue the nailers and hold them in place with screws, then screw the luan to that and put the headliner over top of the luan. I'll have 3" of room on the sidewalls for insulation when I square off the vertical panels. Going to do a full mockup in the back and see how it turns out.

Would have been nice if they had put the AC over above the kitchen instead of in the middle of the floor, but at some point I'll get one of the super low profile models and replace the Dometic.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler

Post by kstills »

Just had a thought. Any reason cutting the luan in strips and fixing it to the ceiling that way wouldn't work? It would be much easier to work around the roof openings that way, I'd get a much tighter fit to all of them. I'll be putting headliner over everything anyway, so it's not like it will show.

Now I'm just trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.
kstills
Seasoned Traveler

Post by kstills »

Here's the mock up of what I intend to to do for the ceiling.
'2x2 (nominally 1.5X1.5") treated with tung oil, sandwiched between two pieces of 1/4" luan.The luan provides a better bite for screws.
Overlay that with alternating layers of luan strips. The bottom layer in the pic ended up being much wider than I need, it will be ~1.5" as installed. Top will be between 2-3" depending on what looks best. Interior color scheme will be cream and leather, so the bottom layer of the ceiling will be a brown leather color and the top will be cream. All the wood will be treated with either tung oil or a polyurethane to make it waterproof. All screws and holes going up into the ribs will be treated with epoxy to prevent water infiltration. Epoxy glue will be used to fix the nailers to the ribs (as well as screws) and perhaps also on the slats, although I don't think I need anything that expensive for the strips.

The construction gives me 2 inches of space for fiberglass, which will more than likely end up being polyiso in the ceiling. With that I can get to ~R14, while the wool would only give me ~R7. I'll also have plenty of room to run the wiring from the DS to the PS, while giving up that head space. Van ceiling in the back will be ~73", I'm at 72" so it will be a little tight.
Attachments
IMG_0490.jpg
IMG_0490.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 883 times
IMG_0489.jpg
IMG_0489.jpg (128.43 KiB) Viewed 883 times
IMG_0488.jpg
IMG_0488.jpg (97.57 KiB) Viewed 883 times