LED conversion?

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

LED conversion?

Post by skater »

Has anyone tried converting some of the incandescent bulbs to LEDs? This site has bulbs that will fit in a 168 socket (which is what my bulbs are), but, since they are larger than a regular bulb, it's not clear whether they'll fit in the fixture.

I think the T13 wedge-based bulbs with 6 LEDs might fit, or maybe the 921-x12 with 12 LEDs might. The site gives measurements for both so I'll have to measure.

The LEDs consume much less power, which is good, especially for boondocking, but because an individual LED doesn't produce much light, they need several LEDs together, which takes up space.

The yellow-ishness of the incandescent bulbs always bugs me in my B190, and the LEDs would be a whiter color.
Last edited by skater on Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alaskan
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1999
WBCCI: 0

Post by Alaskan »

Not as yet but its a great idea... they seem to make them for pretty much any application in 12v & 110v...

CCrane....has quite a variety I see. And the best portable radio made, CCRadio Plus

www.ccrane.com
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Happy with my new LEDs

Post by Keystone »

Just swapped all of my BA15s bayonet lamps for 3W LED equivalents, and they are perfect! Color is warm, light output is great, and really it's hard to see the difference in the overall effect from the original incandescent. I bought these strange-looking "bulbs" (http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/other/RV-1141.htm), though I suspect there are other good ones out there. Hope they last, as they are pricey.

(Edited by skater: made URL a link)
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Re: Happy with my new LEDs

Post by skater »

Keystone wrote:Just swapped all of my BA15s bayonet lamps for 3W LED equivalents, and they are perfect! Color is warm, light output is great, and really it's hard to see the difference in the overall effect from the original incandescent. I bought these strange-looking "bulbs" (http://www.ledtrailerlights.com/other/RV-1141.htm), though I suspect there are other good ones out there. Hope they last, as they are pricey.
Good call - they look like nice bulbs. Unfortunately, in mine, those are only used in three fixtures - the outside light, and the two reading lights in the bunk. Later models used bulbs like that in the reading lights over the couch, too, and possibly for the light above the cockpit seats.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit