Battery maintenance system: Solar & 120v

Electrical issues, both 12 volt and 120 volt
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1993
WBCCI: 0

Battery maintenance system: Solar & 120v

Post by Kentuckian »

I completed my overhaul of our B190’s house battery maintenance system this weekend. I swapped out the old Magnetek 6332 for a Power Dynamics PD4635 converter/charger. Additionally, I finished my install of a 100 watt solar panel and controller system. In order to better monitor our house battery state of charge, I also installed a Trimetric TM 2025 RV battery gauge. The TM 2025 RV lets you monitor the voltage of your vehicle battery and the house battery. It also provides access to a real time display of the house battery percent state of charge and the present watts or amps going in or out of the house battery.

Our solar panel is mounted on the roof in front of the air conditioner and just behind the hump in the roof line. It is mounted on a tilt fixture that lets me tilt the panel up to 45 degrees towards the front or the rear of the B190. The panel rides well here. It sits far enough forward to not risk being shaded by the AC unit and when lowered sits even or just below the level of the front of the roof line.

We don’t use a generator. So the solar system will be what we use to maintain the house battery when we are boondocking.

Since it is in good condition, I’m still using the Airstream stock Ford BXT50 house battery which is mounted under the hood. Whenever, that battery dies, I am thinking about moving to two Trojan 12volt deep cycle batteries wired in parallel mounted in the external generator bay. At a 50% discharge limit, that would take us from the present 55AH capacity to 130AH capacity.

List of hardware installed -
120v>12v converter/charger:
---Power Dynamics PD4635
---http://www.bestconverter.com
Solar panel:
---Instapark 100w, 17.5v
---http://www.amazon.com/
Solar panel tilt mount:
---http://www.rvsolarconnection.com
Solar System Controller:
---Morningstar Tristar-45
Power meter:
---TriMetric 2025 RV
---http://www.bogartengineering.com/products/TriMetric

March 13, 2016 edit --> Just an update after 2 1/2 years of use. I like the system. If I was going to change something, I would look for a solar panel with higher amperage output. Everything else is great. If you want to save some money, you can go with a lower cost charge controller than the Tristar-45. Its very capable, made is USA and high quality but perhaps more capable than needed for this application.
Last edited by Kentuckian on Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Re: Battery maintenance system: Solar & 120v

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is a photo of the TriMetric TM 2025 RV and the original Magnetek Power Plus distribution panel after I installed the PD4635. All you can see here is the new fuse block. The rest of the PD4635 is hidden in the lower section. The PD4635 was an easy install. It took me a little less than two hours. The solar system has taken a couple of weekends.
Attachments
TrMetric TM 2025 RV and PD4635 fuse block
TrMetric TM 2025 RV and PD4635 fuse block
TriMetric and power panel small.jpg (215.83 KiB) Viewed 25055 times
1993 Airstream B190
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

Looks great! Nice job. Please let us know how it works. :)
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler
B190 Year: 1994

Post by Keystone »

Nice upgrades on both projects. I look forward to seeing your photo of the solar system, too. Curious--where did you put the charge controller?
Keystone
B190 4x4
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

The solar charge controller is under the couch on the other side of the cabinet wall from the Trimetric TM 2025 RV meter in the photo. There is plenty of room there and easy access to the power distribution panel and all needed wiring. The couch is held in by four bolts. So I removed the couch while installing the controller and running the wiring.

As mentioned, I'm still using the Airstream "house" battery under the hood. Its not ideal having the solar charge controller too far away from your storage battery. Usually you should place those close together. However, my final goal is to relocate the 'house' batteries to the generator bay once the current Airstream factory configuration battery dies. Once I do that the controller and batteries will be very close to one another.

There is room to mount sealed AGM batteries under the couch behind the large drawer. I would prefer to stay with flooded type batteries so I'm planning on putting the batteries in the generator bay.

We have an outing coming up in a few weeks. I'll report back on our 'lessons learned' as we get more time with the system.

System has been working fine, last few days in the driveway. Happy batteries so far! <smile>
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

We have a few weeks and a three day outing past us now. So I thought I'd report back on our experience with the solar charge system. I'm totally satisfied. Under full sun the system puts out around 5 amps. If its cloudy but bright enough to see your shadow we still see a couple of amps on the current meter. During the day it easily keeps up with all of our normal 12volt electrical usage and still has enough juice to have the 'house' battery recharged before sunset.

Down side? You only have power when you have sun. So you've got to pay attention to shade, heavy clouds and such. Love the Trimetric meter. Great tool for monitoring what's going on with your batteries. For example I had changed out all our 12volt incandescent ceiling light bulbs for LEDs bulbs. We can run every one of those LED light fixtures at the same time in the B for less than an amp. However, the one ceiling florescent light fixture draws close to 2 amps by itself.

Here's a photo of our B parked in Waitsboro Campground, Cumberland Lake, Kentucky.
Attachments
Waitsboro Campground, Cumberland Lake Kentucky
Waitsboro Campground, Cumberland Lake Kentucky
WC PAN SML.jpg (184.02 KiB) Viewed 24886 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is a photo of the solar panel tilted towards the front of the B. It can be adjusted for any angle and also tilted towards the rear of the B. I have it shifted to the front of the mount so that it lifts above the air conditioner when tilted towards the back of the B. This way the A/C can not cast a shadow on the panel in the winter when the sun is lower in the sky.
Attachments
Solar Panel up
Solar Panel up
LN FWD SML.jpg (242.17 KiB) Viewed 24887 times
1993 Airstream B190
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Here is the solar panel in the fully retracted position.
Attachments
flat sml.jpg
flat sml.jpg (222.78 KiB) Viewed 24887 times
1993 Airstream B190
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Wow, that solar system looks great! Thanks for posting. I really like your adjustable, tilting mounting system for the PV panel. And, it sounds like you have energy management under control with your monitor. Like you, I found that swapping out the original incandescent lamps for LEDs made a huge difference. Sure wish there was a simple LED replacement for the ceiling fluorescent light, too.
Keystone
B190 4x4
EricZ
Weekend Camper

Post by EricZ »

There is a simple LED replacement for the ceiling fluorescent light: Thin-Lite, the manufacturer of the original ceiling fluorescent in my 1993 Airstream 190, now makes LED versions of many of their fixtures. These produce way more light per watt than the fluorescent versions.

The stock ceiling fixture in my 190 was a Thin-Lite model 194:
http://www.thinlite.com/194nh-hi-tech-commercial

Thin-Lite now makes an LED version (LED194BKP). See page 14 of this catalog:
http://www.thinlite.com/resources/docum ... um-catalog

However I'm thinking I might instead replace my 194 with a different fixture, perhaps an LED416P (see page 1 of the above LED catalog). Lower profile, more streamlined.

Many years ago I replaced the original fluorescent fixture over the sink in my 190 with a Thin-Lite model model 171 fluorescent. (I don't recall what was there originally, but I think it was a different brand.)
I'm now considering replacing that 171 with a Thin-Lite model LED1718BP, or even an LED1723BKP if it will fit (see page 11 of the above LED catalog).
Last edited by EricZ on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keystone
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Keystone »

Thanks, Eric--great info on the fluorescent-to-LED conversion from Thin-Lite.
Keystone
B190 4x4
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

FYI - I just measured the current draw on the lights in my B. The factory ceiling fluorescent draws 2.25amps. The single tube fluorescent above the sink draws 0.93amps. The LED light bulbs that I put in the 6" square light fixtures (like above the couch) draw 0.14amps each.
1993 Airstream B190
farnorth

Post by farnorth »

Kentuckian: Farnorth here !

I picked up my 93 B-190 in Las Vegas and spent one month cleaning up discrepancys and adding Bilstein shocks, restore fridge operation, air lift shocks etc. month of Oct. 2013

Your info on solar panel installation looks great. I wish to install same on my unit. I looked up add on Amazon for Instapark kit , 100 W panel W 10 amp solar controller and
50 ft. solar panel extension cable for $244.50 includes shipping. The demensions on the panel 47 X 1.5 X 22". I note your panel on your photo appears to be square ?
Also RV solar connection frames come in two sizes small and large ! Which one did you use ? Also most owners are replaceing oridginal voltage controlar with replacement
units ? Is there a problem with the unit that came with the 1993 B-190. I have not used shore power with my unit , nor the generator but have used the engine alternator
for charging batterys , as I have put on about 900 miles on unit chasing parts around Los Wages !! I will also install Power Meter Trimetric 2025 unit . Thanks for help.
Bob Gauden, Farnorth, AK
skater
Site Admin
B190 Year: 1991
WBCCI: 13270

Post by skater »

farnorth wrote:Kentuckian: Farnorth here !

I picked up my 93 B-190 in Las Vegas and spent one month cleaning up discrepancys and adding Bilstein shocks, restore fridge operation, air lift shocks etc. month of Oct. 2013

Your info on solar panel installation looks great. I wish to install same on my unit. I looked up add on Amazon for Instapark kit , 100 W panel W 10 amp solar controller and
50 ft. solar panel extension cable for $244.50 includes shipping. The demensions on the panel 47 X 1.5 X 22". I note your panel on your photo appears to be square ?
Also RV solar connection frames come in two sizes small and large ! Which one did you use ? Also most owners are replaceing oridginal voltage controlar with replacement
units ? Is there a problem with the unit that came with the 1993 B-190. I have not used shore power with my unit , nor the generator but have used the engine alternator
for charging batterys , as I have put on about 900 miles on unit chasing parts around Los Wages !! I will also install Power Meter Trimetric 2025 unit . Thanks for help.
Bob Gauden, Farnorth, AK
The stock converters in these is a cheap, single stage charger. It will overcharge your batteries, damaging them, while you're on shore power/generator unless you're very careful to disconnect them once they're fully charged every time. If you're talking about a solar system with a Trimetric and all that, and you're probably planning to put a better battery in it, a 3 stage converter is a no-brainer. Why put all that money into a decent electrical system, then leave it at risk to a cheap converter?

Besides, the original converters also wear out. Mine was down to 10 volts when I replaced it.
1991 Airstream B190 - bought, 2005; sold, 2011; bought 2017
1995 Airstream Excella 30' trailer

WBCCI #13270, Washington, DC Unit
Kentuckian
Seasoned Traveler

Post by Kentuckian »

Hi Bob,

Q) "I note your panel on your photo appears to be square ?"
A) The dimensions of my panel are 47 x 1.5 x 22. The photos may make it look square but it is not. It sounds like you have identified the same panel that I have.

Q) "Also RV solar connection frames come in two sizes small and large ! Which one did you use ? "
A) I ordered the medium mount which has the 25.625” length. That is actually longer than the sides of the solar panel. I have my panel mounted towards the end of the mounting frame furthest from the roof AC. That way when I tilt the panel in the direction of the rooftop AC the panel rises a little bit which helps avoiding the AC hood casting a shadow on the panel.

Q) "Also most owners are replaceing oridginal voltage controlar with replacement units ?"
A) Skater has answered your question. The Power Dynamics replacement converter is a three stage converter that steps the power down to a trickle charge level once the battery is full.

If you are tight on funds and if your Magnetek 6332 converter is working, you can always keep an eye on it and turn it off when your battery is fully charged. I leave my converter switched off except for cloudy days when I am plugged into the 110volts. If your Magnetek is working, changing it out is optional. Basically your solar system uses the suns power to charge the battery and Magnetek 6332 is a separate battery charging system converting 110volts to battery power. So you do not have to replace the converter to install the solar system.
1993 Airstream B190